1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August Update 2

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

I could probably find a more creative way to name these.

Inventory
    So, been about two weeks since the last update. Crimson and I have been focusing hard on the inventory system. It's working great now, we just want to put in a few more parts before pushing it in the next build.

So far we have a working interface which builds a nice-looking table/list of all your items. We have a tab for both weapons and armour, which can now be equipped properly, with one-handed weapons able to be placed in either hand, two-handed weapons taking up both, and armour having slots for each part.

Here's a little screenshot I nabbed off of Skype while we were working on it:
    [​IMG]

Doesn't look like much yet, but as with everything else at the moment it's the visible portion of an iceberg of programming beneath it. We can now import weapons and armour from a CSV, which is basically a spreadsheet without lines. This means I can create weapons in my spreadsheet (you all know how much I love those), and pass them to Crimson to be imported. Soon we'll have the same functionality for moves as well. It doesn't make a lot of an impact right now, but it keeps the door open for the possibility of custom and modded content later down the line.

The white square area on the side will be for viewing item artwork, stats, and attached moves. The L and R buttons, while pretty unattractive, remain blue and pinned so you can easily see what you have equipped and easily change what you have equipped.

We need to do a couple more things before we push the next update. We want to plug in the weapon numbers to the combat, so you'll be able to see weapons in action, as well as give them some proper, actual moves. It should be coming within the next week or so.

GUI
    I've also been sharpening my all-too-dull Unity skills and trying out some different interfaces for dialogue so we can do away with the action button grid.

I've been experimenting with a couple ideas. The first is a scrollview with dialogue options stacked in a list:
    [​IMG]

I quite like the look of it, especially the expanding headers on the left side. But as Crimson pointed out to me, scrollviews are not very keyboard-friendly and focus very much on mouse use. The next idea is more like a marquee (I think):
    [​IMG]

This can be used with both mouse and keyboard, with the up and down arrows selecting different options. I would like to be able to show the above and below options, but that'd mean a ton of extra stuff to keep everything positioned correctly, especially if the screen is resized, and is a bit beyond me. For now, anyway. We'll likely end up going with something like the latter version, and polish it up all pretty at a later date.

Parser / Director / Twine
    I was always taught that it never hurts to ask. With Twine in my pocket as a possible solution, I've been looking around for others that might be even better. What we need is something very specific, but you never know until you ask. That, and I'd like to keep my own parser/director model if at all possible.

We think we may have found an ideal solution. The most time-consuming part of our parser/director isn't the clever stuff with text manipulation, it's having to create a set of tools for actually using it and writing branching dialogue. Basically, what Twine is, except specifically for Carnal Souls.

I'll leave it nameless for now until we're sure, but I came across a Unity asset that does almost everything we need. The part it doesn't do, however, is pretty important. So, I emailed the creator and asked, and it looks like our feature request will make it into their next product version. Everyone cross your fingers that it's as good as I think it will be. If it is, it means we can use the parser/director system straight away, and have a way to write scenes with it.

The downside is that it requires Unity to write scenes, and this asset which isn't free. Right now it's alarmingly cheap, but that will likely change soon. But it's a small price, literally, to pay until we can make our own Carnal Scenewriter. I'll try to remember to let you guys know what happens there when we push the next build.

That about covers it for n- no wait. I also updated the Codex a little, rewrote the Lapens a bit, and added stuff on cats.

Until next time!

Farlun likes this.
  2. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

A bit a of constructive feedback on the GUI. While I understand how the traditional scroll-window approach doesn't work well with keyboards, the marquee-style scrolling risks causing the opposite problem. As someone who prefers using the mouse in these types of games, I can't say that I'm keen on the idea of repeatedly clicking the arrows to cycle through options. However, with the right tweaking, either method can be made to accommodate both mouse control and keyboard control. Alternatively, you could include both methods and give players the option of choosing which one they prefer.

3. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Ah, should've mentioned: the marquee style could probably be wired to react to scrolling the mousewheel while you hover over it, so you could switch through each option that way. I think it can, anyway.

While I'd love to offer both methods, and may aim to at a much later date, maintaining multiple UI layouts probably isn't a wise use of our limited time, at least for now.

Ritzy likes this.
  4. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Inventory:

Looks neat, but list-type UI is not popular as far as mouse/PC users go, since it requires a ton of reading and usualy an icon-based interface. Still, I don't mind it, as long as a) there won't be a crapload of equipment available all the time and/or b) the UI will allow players to sort the items based on their value/damage/weight etc. I'd also recommend having equipped items seperate, perhaps in a small list above the inventory list.

Dialogue system:

Well, can't the scroll list be usable with the arrow keys? And I think that, while hotkeys are important for everyone who wants to use them, smut RPGs are typicaly played with a mouse, especialy considering that the player usualy should have his other hand... Uhm... Free... *Cough* This sounds silly but if it's an 18+ game then this should be taken into account, and I think that mouse, in this case, should take priority over the keyboard. You need to keep those clean!

Other stuff:

Fingers crossed for the update on the asset coming soon and working as intented. If you'd get a good deal of the mechanics done instantly because of that, then I'd be pretty awesome.

Now off to read the updated Codex! :3

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Ritzy likes this.
  5. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

Is the inventory system based off SkyUI? List types like that i dont have a problem with, as long as we have several sort options available, (sort for light armor, sort for heavy armor, sort for sexy armor...etc). I mean, one of those grid system inventorys could work...but then...wed have to sort through page after page of stuff to find the item we're looking for. I'm either/or on the dialog system, it might be worth it to use a kind of option/setting system so we can switch between the two.

6. Nenten

Nenten New Member Member

I think it looks quite nice. As long as it can all be controlled and navigated via mouse, for reasons, then I personally don't have any real critiques to offer.

7. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

I think the marquee just looks better than the scroll wheel. With so much text crammed into a small space like that it gets cluttered quickly. The marquee allows clearly defined separators and room to breath. With added mouse functionality I'm sure you're capable of implementing I think the marquee style is the way to go. Coming from a purely aesthetic point of view, of course.

8. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

That makes sense, but some people--myself included--like to have their options in an interface presented side-by-side for easy comparison. Scrolling/switching back and forth between options that aren't simultaneously visible while I debate my choice gets annoying very quickly.

9. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

I understand. It's a common convention because it works well and is easy for the player to navigate with minimal fuss. I'm just concerned the size and limited space of the text will be an issue in reading comprehension, but I'm sure issues like that could probably be ironed out later with polish. I just like the snazzy new marquee because it's new and makes the UI look better, at least to me. But I guess I should consider UX too. Nice looking things ultimately take a back seat to functionality.