1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

August Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

Firstly, apologies for missing the last update. I've been put on some new drugs that rather knocked me for a loop. Gradually growing used to them, but still waiting for them to do any good.

But, in a surprise turn of events, progress has happened. Crimson had some ideas about how to get things moving. It's experimental, for now, but thus far seems to be working well for us. In a short time Crimson and I have put together a very rough but functional map for navigating Sunrest City, which is where the prologue of the game will take place.

Here are some screenshots of a few of Sunrest City's 24 districts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's safe to say that nothing here represents a finished product. Our goal is to have districts to travel to, and within those districts have set locations which can be revealed by stories or investigation, move around the city like a trading wagon, or appear at certain times of the day.

Mousewheel zooming, dragging/panning, and mouseover highlighting is currently working. Clicking a district zooms the view to it, revealing its locations and a description of the district.

[​IMG]

This also includes a further iteration on the parser, which Crimson believes is better and faster than previous versions.

In a short period of time we've accomplished a lot, comparatively. Barring any disasters I hope to bring you more news in the next update. Our focus (as you can probably tell) is not looks or polish, but getting the mechanics and guts of it working. After some bolts have been tightened in this map system we're moving to focus on the parser and director, then the body system until we have a working player description.

Until next time!

2. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Active Member Member

Visible progress! Mwah! Feels good and good feels.

Hmm, Kobold Shinies? Are we getting kobolds? I don't remember them from the Codex, but that doesn't mean anything. Goblins were in the Codex though, and kobolds are basically just goblins that D&D decided to make reptilian.

Now H & P's Lovecraft has me wondering what kind of shop it is. Love potions maybe, but the reference makes me think it needs to be more. Sex toys modelled after unknowable monsters? Is this Luud's version of Bad Dragon or Primal Hardwere?

3. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

And here I was worried you were tied up in the July 22 farce. I've gotta say, after dozens of text adventures that can barely manage basic cardinal-point orientation, it's pretty exciting to see not only a proper city map, but one that breaks down individual venues by district. I know you said it's all WIP, but honestly, this rough style feels like what your above-average burgher would sketch out if asked—sans the fancy colours, of course. :p

Consider my hype renewed. :D

Atomicbob, Floppyantennae and Benji like this.
  4. Halbadier

Halbadier New Member Member

Love seeing this the hype is real.

Atomicbob and Benji like this.
  5. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

[​IMG]
    *news

Atomicbob, Ritzy, Benji and 2 others like this.
  6. Mustang Flex

Mustang Flex Member Member

Well shit in my mouth and call me the Ganges, this is the kind of news I've been waiting on. Having a visual representation for where you are will go a long way toward making things not only easier to navigate, but also get a sense of place. Is this map going to be the main way of navigating through a given place (like a city or section of wilderness), or just a reference point to figure out where the fuck you are?

Atomicbob, Benji and Floppyantennae like this.
  7. Dolfuss

This is horrible, but it's also amazing.

Atomicbob likes this.
  8. Benji

It's fully interactive. There'll be different map views depending on where you are; this is inner-city, then hexes for the overworld in general, though the prologue will take place entirely here in Sunrest City.

Floppyantennae and Atomicbob like this.
  9. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

Huzzah, a map! And a pretty detailed-looking one at that. And Kobold Shinies? Are there going to be kobolds in the game? Ahh, I'm excited!!!

By the way, how are you feeling, Benji? Back any better?

Floppyantennae and Benji like this.
  10. Benji

Back is doing better yes, thank you. The hip's still rather a blight, though. Basically comes down to having bad days and good days at the moment, until either these new meds work or we find something else that does. Was surprised to find that, for almost a lifetime of sitting, my spine is practically perfect. Just everything else that sucks. :p

(Also good to see you here again. <3)

11. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

<3

Benji likes this.
  12. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

I think we can all agree the party is being restarted.

Who's on the hype train again?

CHOO CHOOOOOOO!!!...

13. Dolfuss

DON'T NEED NO TICKET TO RIDE

Atomicbob likes this.