1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carnal Codex

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by Benji, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

I forget if it was discussed before, but how anthropomorphized are Apien facial structures? Insects tend to get the short end at the best of times (unless it's body horror), which I think is a shame because bees are hecking adorable.

Bruh.

2. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Few new bits:
    • Bit more info on Shadowless. I think that'll be it for now as I want to save more details for the game itself, unless anyone points out something glaring I stupidly missed.
    • Added a section on Sunrest's districts.
    • Added an entry for the Silt Run district.

3. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Yeah!

Can't wait for an update now.

Atomicbob likes this.
  4. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member Member

If Shadowless one get his appearance from those he defeats, what would happen if one Shadowless defeats another one, I wonder.

But this aside, how about Luud's theology? Or more specifically - theogony? How the modern gods came to be? Were there other gods before them? Do all the deities that are worshipped by people of Luud actually exist, or some of them are merely superstition? How and when did 'morphs get their gods (considering that there were no 'morphs and therefore - no 'morph deities - before the Wilderdraft)? How is the form of a god defined? Can it be changed? How gods interact with each other? Can a deity be harmed? Can it be destroyed? Can it then be restored?

Can different nations and cultures have different gods for the same portfolio?

This is especially important in the light of creating a timeline.

5. Benji

Good questions all, I'll try to answer those.

Floppyantennae likes this.
  6. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

would a human girl with bunny ears still have normal human ears under her hair?

Atomicbob likes this.
  7. Akhter13

Akhter13 Active Member Member

Not unless the Bunny ears are on an Alice band [magic may or may not be included]

8. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Well-Known Member Member

There's this weird lack of consistency that appears across fantasy tales of all kinds, and that is the capitalization of races.
    "Human" is almost never treated as a proper noun, but we gladly capitalize Elf, and Dwarf, and Orc, and Goblin...
    I bring this up because I've noticed that you, Benji, have fallen prey to this in the Codex. (Gasps from the crowd, a lady faints, several monocles are dropped.)

I wasn't sure whether picking this particular nit was worthwhile since the dev team has way bigger fish to fry. Ultimately I figured it's a tiny issue that would likely go unnoticed by most players, and those that noticed probably wouldn't mind, so I'll put it out there and you can fix it if you want or leave it and nobody will really care. Plus, if you decided to change it, it'll be easier now than it would be if there was a whole bunch of content.

The easiest way to fix it (and here "fix it" means "render it internally consistent") is to just make Human a proper noun on Luud, and capitalize it every time along with all the other races. But that tends to look odd, because it runs counter to how we do it in the real world. (Whereas seeing capital "Elves" all the time doesn't look out of place because we so rarely talk about elves in the real world.)

A bit more finicky way to handle things is how Tolkien did it. He would capitalize races when referring to them as a collective whole, but otherwise not.
    Five dwarves and four humans meet up in a tavern.
    The Dwarves rule beneath the earth, but the surface belongs to Humans. (Though here Tolkien would have said "Men" but that's not what we're here to talk about)
    The plus side to this way is that, since the Codex currently talks about the races mostly as collective wholes anyway, there wouldn't be much to change. You'd just have to update the word "humans" to match.

And a third option: don't capitalize any race names that don't start a sentence. (Unless the race is named after a proper noun. The Hylians are named after the goddess Hylia, so they always get a capital! But I don't think any current CS races are like that.)
    Bonus to this option: super easy! In fact, I probably misspoke when I called the first option the easiest.
    This way does have kind of the inverse problem from the first one, where it's a little odd seeing "elf" without a capital, but it's not nearly so jarring as capital-h Human.

Personally, I prefer option three since it's consistent both internally and with real world rules. But I will admit, it is super tempting to always write Elves and Orcs. I practically do it automatically sometimes.

Whatever you decide, maybe way down the line when (or is it if?) user submissions become a thing, you may want to consider writing a style guide that others should try to follow. Not just for this, but things like British vs American spellings or what have you.

Um, anyways. Just a thought that admittedly ran a little longer than I thought it would.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk. :p

Benji, Dolfuss and NizzJipple like this.
  9. Dolfuss

7/10, not enough self-congratulatory futurism. ;)

But yeah, I think it's a subconscious impulse of anthropocentrism. Everyone (except Passerby) is human and the 'in'-group, and therefore easily sees individualism within the group, but non-human races are Other and tend to be regarded as a unified bloc. So just like how (in English) we capitalize nationality (or heck, ethnicity), we transpose the model onto the conception of other sapient species.

It's something I've noticed too, and consciously counteracted in a group worldbuilding session, though I don't know if any of my colleagues caught on.

10. Benji

You're absolutely right - it's something I realised I was doing and have since stopped after writing that part of the Codex. It'll be updated to match at some point. It's certainly a valid bullet point to have on the style guide though, thank you @GreenSleeves. <3

11. Avalonne

Avalonne New Member Member

Yes, I realise I am necroing a thread from last year.

I'm a nobody and always an attempt at something.
    You've got some amazing worldbuilding in this Codex but I feel that there is something lacking universally in the definition of the races/species. As the reader, I have insights into their production, their social organisation and hierarchy and how they interact with others... but I'm left largely missing specifics as to how they're different or similar to humans in appearance and functionality, or even to one another (Equen and Centaur come to mind).

Do the Apien have antennae? Perhaps mandibles or fuzzy limbs to help pollinate? Abdomens, etc.

How are Aviens? Hawk-headed, Falcon-headed, Robins, Cardinals, Owls?
    Or perhaps it's a fairly segmented society with representations of all of the above and more.

I've been following this project from a distance since its inception and can proudly and happily say I'd like to contribute to it with more than just money. And with this post, I hope I have. People willing, I'd be happy to lend whatever skills in writing I have to the cause, free of charge.

Dolfuss and Floppyantennae like this.
  12. Dolfuss

This brings to mind Lilith's Throne and how during one of its regular update droughts people were going off on how many sub-sub-subspecies were getting dedicated codices instead of actual plot progress... and yet it struck me that it's the only game I can think of that's actually taken the time to break something like 'dog-morph' down into its individual breeds—and does it in a way that needs minimal definition.

13. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Well-Known Member Member

I've been imagining the avien as fancy tropical birds, since they made their hometown in the jungle.
    But just because they've decided to settle there doesn't necessarily mean that's where they all originated.
    So this was basically just a longform shrug. :p

I'm now picturing the apien with floofy forearms and if they were to clasp their hands together it would look like they were wearing those fluffy hand muff things.
    It's cute and I like it.

Floppyantennae likes this.
  14. Lilde3on

Lilde3on New Member Member

Hello that my first time member here but i wonder where do i can find carnal souls and play that? :)

15. Dolfuss

Unfortunately the only playable content currently available is tech demos. A grounded game is still WIP.