1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carnal Codex

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by Benji, Aug 5, 2016.

1. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

If its a town of cats i vote for "Superior"

After reading the Codex i cast an additional vote for Superior

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

The first thing that came to mind for a town name is "Vanider" (VAN-NIGH-DUR)

It's a combination of vain and undercover. Cats are self centered, that's a fact, especially in your views. There also seems to be some sort of mystery surrounding there, lets say, suspicious takeover of the town... so that's my vote.

...I just realized... I'm using Pokemon naming conventions.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Farlun likes this.
  3. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member Member

Decadent, exploitive, capitalistic fat (and literal) cats? @Benji Do you accept new races, not listed in codex? Because I have an idea about what their furry posteriors deserve.

NizzJipple, Farlun and Benji like this.
  4. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

I was about to come up with something of my own, but @NizzJipple's Vanider really sounds nice.

I love the racial stereotypes and the storytelling so far.

I mean, think about the stories that can come out of this. A cat renegade guardsman fighting crime and corruption in Vanid... in the Felin Capital Garrus-style, or a young rabbit adventurer who faced contempt for his/her actions because he/her chose to be brave. Awesome stuff.

On a side note, I really laughed loud when reading about the cat-people overtaking the city. Just brilliant.

NizzJipple and Benji like this.
  5. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

so we have two votes Superior, two votes Vanider XD

Farlun likes this.
  6. Farlun

How about Vanider as the name for the city and Superior as the name for the rich man/royal district?

NizzJipple likes this.
  7. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

This has my vote.

8. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

yeah i can live with that =3

9. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

Oh hell yeah. A city of pleasure, a city of sin, filled with the finest entertainers of Felen kind. I like this. Class, sophistication, charm, the glitz and glamour hiding something ugly just beneath the surface. Good direction. I approve.

My suggestion is Feville.

I'm getting a very snooty French vibe. Snooty French vibe needs a proud, luxurious snooty name. Feville.

All the humans live in the ghattos.

10. Godwin

So, in Carnal Souls we'll have the ability to completely alter our character's entire physical appearance, yeah? At some point, through crazy magic, my cat could become a mouse. Should we be concerned about that? On an individual level this probably wouldn't be a big deal, my PC alone likely wouldn't have any lasting effects on society as a cat raised mouse, but on a large scale—where "species TF's" are easily accessible—this could become a problem. These are people with identities, fixed geographical locations they can call home, and cultures created over hundreds of years. I don't think it'd be okay for a wolf to become a rabbit and live amongst his new kind. He wouldn't know how to act, he'd carry over old cultural aspects of his birth species, and a suitably large number of such people would ultimately dilute the rabbit's original way of life. Suddenly being what you are means a lot less if anyone can be just like you. Species identity would suffer. Things would get pretty complicated. If such TF's are prolific, I wonder if there wouldn't be city and towns created by and for hybrid species and people who've abandoned their heritage for greener pastures.

Luud America, I can see it now.

But, that's assuming such TF's are wide spread. They may not be common. Anyway, just something to think about going into the future.

11. Farlun

If my memory is correct, the hero of CS is supposed to be somehow special with his/her ability to gather essence of other creatures and morph into them.

So, while the original species might be taken into consideration, I think the main way the PC will be characterised will be this "amorphous" shape. It's easier this way. So maybe only a handful of starting NPCs will keep in mind the starting race, and the rest will simply refer to the PC as this shapeshifter. Just like in Skyrim, where everyone was more concerned with you being the Dragonborn, and only rarely taking into consideration your actual race.

Hmm, while this might not fit the Felin capital, but judging by how often humans discriminate morph races in similar settings (FoE for example), a capital city where the humans are the disliked species is actualy quite interesting.

12. Godwin

Then my concerns are largely unfounded. Good.

Ah, that was just a misguided attempt at a pun. You know, ghetto and gato, Spanish for cat? Yeah...

Anyway, I feel like every district in the Felen capitol is probably pretty posh. I doubt they'd want anything ugly in their city. They'd be too proud for that. Although I do think, in most every species dominated home city, there'll probably be a small community somewhere inside that houses all other people's visiting or otherwise in residence. Like a Foreign Quarter.

13. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Added entries for Foxes and Horses. :3

Thanks everyone for your feedback so far, loving it. <3 Also, Vanider won out, I think that's a pretty good name for it. Thanks @NizzJipple

NizzJipple and Farlun like this.
  14. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

Ugh...Ill win next time NizzJipple. Ah well, SUPER excited about the Fox one (Foxes are kewl) and interesting to see we're like the typical fantasy goblins. Be real interesting to see some Horse vs. Centaur events, or maybe a "star crossed lover" scenario...Anyways thanks Benji for your hard work!

Farlun, NizzJipple and Benji like this.
  15. Godwin

Now it's getting hard to choose a starting race. Cats are cats, and thus awesome, but foxes have science. They're basically the gnomes of Luud. It's actually a pretty cool direction to go in. Out of the original species they were one of the least likely to be scientists, at least to me. But I suppose cunning can be utilized beyond petty theft. If it must.

Neato.

So Richard Hangmoor is the king of Sunrest city. The capitol city. Is Luud composed of numerous city states, or is every city collected under one banner? I'd assume every city is its own sovereign nation, considering they're the hub for each new race, but Richard being the king of the capitol city Sunrest has me confused.

That's hot. I'll be sure to stock up on coupons. Get all those deals.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So, since the leader of the Equen people is based entirely on sexual characteristics, how has that worked out for their society in general? I can't imagine they're the most well run community. Then again, they seem more "native american" than anything. I doubt making some great civilization is high on their list of priorities. Insular and family focused. For the herd and all.

How is their relationship with humanity, by the way? Considering they were, you know, field animals and beasts of burden before their uplifting. I figure there'd be some animosity there.

All in all, another good addition to the codex. Two new races and tiny little hints about the world at large. I like how the races have varying degrees of impact on Luuden civilization. The Lapen and Equen seem fairly low key, and the Canen to an extent, but the Felen and Vulpen have certainly made waves. Great job, Benji! Keep on truckin'.

WulfesHeafod, Farlun and Benji like this.
  16. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

Oh man, that's so cool! Thank you, @Benji. :) I'm honored you picked my name, even though I gave MAYBE a minute of thought to it :p

Farlun likes this.
  17. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

This has led to strict rules in Vulpen brothels about accepting only money for services, as a number of shrewd patrons kept offering to pay for sex with more sex.​

Man, and I thought Colonial Australia had problems with inflation. :p

But I never wanted to fuck goblins! ;)

A prince, therefore, being compelled knowingly to adopt the beast, ought to choose the fox and the lion; because the lion cannot defend himself against snares and the fox cannot defend himself against wolves. Therefore, it is necessary to be a fox to discover the snares and a lion to terrify the wolves. Those who rely simply on the lion do not understand what they are about.
    —Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince, Chapter XVIII​

Could be like the Holy Roman Empire: everyone calls him leader of the realm, but as soon as his will clashes with the local princes', they all give him the finger. Add in the racial element and there'd be no end to the intrigue.

But then, that's why the peasants call him "Tricky Dick".

That's a good point: equen and boven would have ready rhetoric re. a slave heritage...

Godwin likes this.
  18. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Added Bovens today. Should answer some more questions I've seen here.

WulfesHeafod, Ritzy and Farlun like this.
  19. Farlun

You're on a killing spree!

Also congrats to @NizzJipple :p

Foxes: I love this. Mixing up stereotypical thieves with gnome-like scientists is ingenious. Plus this makes a perfect setup for a heist-style bank robbery questline with a gadgeter fox thief. Now that would be awesome.

Horses: Did I mention I love native american/tribal style settings?

I did a milion times already?

Well, I'll mention it again! :p

Makes me curious of actual horse-taurs. You know, horse-morphs on four legs. How would the horses and the centaurs see them?

Bovines: The steak part made me go "eww!". Nice it's so subversive, however, I have a very... technical... Question. Do all female bovines have both udders and breasts? Are there females with breasts only?

On a side note, I'm curious if you're planning any races that are, hmm, nonplussed about sex. Or stereotypical (heterosexual?) sex. Or about gender roles in general. Or races that just dislike sex in general.

Yea so I go here to get me some prons and suddenly people are quoting Machiavelli. I love this place.

Which reminds me: Are all of the race capitals be reachable in-game?

Because setting up a single city to feel decent requires a ton of work in text games. Multiple may be too much, at least the beginning.

Benji likes this.
  20. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

Hometown name: Cowtow
    Apparently, cows have a lot of ideas when they're stood in a field chewing the same lump of grass for the third time.
    They are said to be very black-and-white, yes-or-no on political matters.​

Benji, you're gonna kill me before this game even reaches beta. XD

/inb4 microtransactions

But yeah, as much as I'd hoped I might manage to diversify my character this time 'round, Benji's gone and mixed one of my favourite races with several of my preferred proficiencies. (You're not telepathic, are you? ;)) Once CS goes public, I'll definitely be looking for ways to help out the dev team.

I nominate the Demons of Sloth. "Ugh, but that sounds like work, man!"

[​IMG]

Atomicbob, Farlun and Benji like this.