1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Early September Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

Update's a little early this week but I wanted to keep you guys up to date on all the happenings here. The most important part being that Crimson is going to be have his time taken up by other things for a while. He's got a second project to work on, which is a good thing at this stage as anything that keeps either of us fed and housed keeps Carnal Souls going. Second being that he also needs to find a new place to live, as his current situation has become less than ideal. It's a tough process under the best of circumstances, so I hope you'll all join me in wishing him the best of luck.

Since his contract means he's paid by the hour, it means that money can be carried over until he's able to get back to it (barring another Brexit currency cataclysm, but the great support we've been getting from Patreon would help us if that happened).

So, in the mean time, there's plenty I can be getting on with. While it doesn't directly impact development, the world, its characters and places, NPC's and quests all need to be created, so that's what I've been focusing on recently. Character art and other assets also need to be made, for those I'll likely post them to Patreon first and then include them here in the bi-weekly update. I've gotten Codex entries for horses, cows, foxes, and reptiles written up in the Codex, next I plan to write more about the main city and brush off my drawing stuff to do some character art.

That aside, since the last update there has been some progress made. To quote directly from the relevant Patreon post:
    So, the update for that asset I mentioned in the last update got released yesterday, and it looks like it can now do everything we need. The asset is called Dialogical, and is a tool for building branching dialogues and scenes inside Unity.

It has several major advantages over using Twine, as it works similarly but integrates much more directly with Unity (meaning there's no need to spend a long time building and maintaining a Twine importer). The update added the ability to pass parameters, or multiple parameters, with method calls, either when scene nodes are started or when options are selected by the player.

The plain english version is that this means I can create an API (basically, a way for two things to talk to each other) between written text and game data. I can create methods/functions which do a set thing, and then I (or another writer) can use those to check conditions for nodes as well as change things in the game depending on player choices. This should hopefully mean that writers don't need to know special code or anything, just that the method 'IfEyesAre' checks a character's eye colour.

The best part is that this also means we'll be remaining with the original parser/director system for use in writing, on which we've already done a lot of work.

I don't think we're likely to find a better solution for our very unique needs in this regard, and after poking and prodding at it and its source code, we think we can make it work nicely for us. In the previous update post, the GUI examples there were my own implementations hooked up to a rough 'n' ready Dialogical scene. It passed the correct information back and forth, made it very easy to plug in (automatically creating my own premade buttons for the currently available player options, providing the text for that node in the conversation), and seems to be about as easy to use as it can be while writing complex branching dialogue. I'm pretty excited to start using it, and I don't think that's too far off in development.

Besides that, I've been fiddling with spreadsheets and further developing our weapons, armour, and moves. We'd like to at least allow the possibility of customising equipment by changing the moves on them, as well as things like upgrading and enchanting, and especially in the case of mage gear. This means making sure that we have a solid way of making sure each weapon knows which moves it can and can not have, as well as its defaults, and having a good way of categorising moves into proper 'families'.

So, in summary, expect for the time being written and art updates focused mostly on story, lore, and characters, and please wish Crimson luck in finding a new place and enjoying a quick and painless move.

Until next time!

Tenryuu, Godwin, Farlun and 5 others like this.
  2. WulfesHeafod

WulfesHeafod Member Member

Will the buttons generated by the dialogue system be able to have text attached? That is, you mouse over a dialogue option or action and it gives you a little hint or bit of information about the action. I find sometimes certain choices can be vaguely worded, and the ability for a writer to be able to specify, "oh, this will be a sarcastic or mean response" or whatever would be helpful. I know Fenoxo's game supports something like it, but I would say only half or so of the scenes take advantage of it, and it generally improves any of the scenes it's used in.

3. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

I'm generally aiming towards having the buttons contain clear text about what it is they'll have the player do or say.

Farlun and WulfesHeafod like this.
  4. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

Wishing you the best in your moving situation Crimson! Hopefully you can get settled peaceably and without much fuss.

Benji likes this.
  5. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

You can do it Crimson! I, someone on the internet, believe in you! Nice job with the whatever it is you were talking about Benji, it looks like it'll make things smoother for you, so....yay!

Farlun and Benji like this.
  6. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Same here, best wishes for Crimson.

Hope you'll have the financial situation under control (or you already have).

It's very encouraging to see the progress done, especialy with the dialogical system (... how many weeks of developement did that save? :p). Guess I'll have to visit Patron more often for the art updates :p

Benji likes this.