1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

February Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

The past couple weeks have rather been absorbed by boring, but essential, housekeeping. Now that we're moving into using Unity more prominently, as well as Unity assets, we've been taking care of the not overly simple task of getting all the devs up to the same basis.

We're in the process of updating the codebase from v5.5.0 to 2017. And the tooling that's available for 2017 is not the same, and doesn't work as well, as 5.5.0, without having to modernise a lot of things. Whilst we can continue in 5.5.0, it would be better in the long term to update the engine and use the more modern, and more optimised, API. Especially in the use of assets, it's rather essential everyone be on the same version so we're not chasing extra bugs. And we all use Windows, Mac, and Linux, so it's not been a simple affair.

MonoDevelop, the IDE Unity usually ships with, is undergoing some changes and is this year to be replaced with VisualStudio, which is nice. Until then Goldie's rather on the back foot and having to fix her own tooling in order to assist with our dialogue assets.

The simple version is that in order to work deeper in Unity as a team, we need everyone updated and functioning. It's not an easy affair and headaches are had by all. But it's worth not having to build our own engine from scratch. It's boring, but essential work, and we now have the right assets licensed for everyone and versions matched, there's just some extra work needed to get everyone running again. For me it's been rather fortunately timed, as I've had to spend some time recently looking after my old mum.

Here's a new concept I've been working on, however. I wanted to make an elegant dress look armoured, basing it loosely on a DnD character of mine.

[​IMG]
    Until next time!

Dolfuss, Nechrom, Atomicbob and 3 others like this.
  2. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Now that's one hell of an attractive lady, is she'd be romancable that'd be totaly awesome. I mean, while being sexy she totaly *doesn't* look like an average hRPG bangable character and it'd be damn alluring to see her romancable despite such an elegant appearance. I love that, much better than the tons of bimbos we're usualy being thrown at.

I'm not sure how her shoes fit her overall design tho.

Anyway, back-end stuff like this is always the most irritating but it's good to see you guys moving on towards less theoretical issues like engine work et cetera. As one of my gamedev teachers told in at the university: "Life's too short to waste it on building your own game engines".

I still hope we'll be able to see a playable build sometime this month, it would most definetly be awesome.

And time spent helping parents like that is always well spent :)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Dolfuss, Atomicbob and Benji like this.
  3. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member Member

I feel your pain T_T
    Your skills at drawing are great. That said, proportions seem to be off. That canine should have either shorter legs or longer body. Now it looks like it is half-way horse.

Also, "armoured" is all good and well, but it is pointless when there are such huge weak point in said armour just over some pretty important organs (you know, lungs and heart - I heard humanoids actually need those to stay intact and un-punctured for them to survive). To be effective armour needs to cover all vital organs, regardless of everything else. Check this one, for example.

I will refrain from ranting about how archery and huge breasts really do not mesh well. I do, however suggest to switch from bows to thrown weapons (why do most people even forget that such an option exists? Thrown weapons are awesome: you only need one free hand to throw and do not need to worry about any other anatomical features of yours. And accuracy and range are adequate for almost all tasks an adventurer may face).

And finally: bow, arrows, sword, cloak, sort-of-armour, bracer, dagger... long skirt and high-heels? And a broomstick? I would very much like to hear a story behind such a choice of equipment. Was she preparing for a hunt with her animal companion, but half-way through those preparations changed her mind and decided to get to some royal ball by flying on a broomstick?

4. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

From what little time I experienced with coding and programming, I feel your pain, Benji. ;-;
    That being said, here's hoping that, once the headache of coding is over with, it gets easier for you guys from here on out! Keep up the fantastic job, guys!
    Also dang, that's some good artwork! I love the idea of armored formal attire, and she's rocking it quite well. Also, given how big her wolf-friend is, does that mean that Dire- creatures might be featured in-game? I'd love to adventure with a giant wolf. :D

Yep. <3

110% agree that throwing weapons are severely underused, and need to see more main-stream applications. Throwing a knife at someone and nailing them with it will never not be cool. :D

D&D Characters, I find, are often loaded down with all kinds of weird items that may have a niche use in their travels. That being said, I'm also curious as to why she has a broomstick on her back. Is it enchanted, or maybe being used as an impromptu staff?

Passerby likes this.
  5. Passerby

True, but they usually keep those in their Bags of Holding or other Holes.
    You mean Battle Ballgown? Then lo and behold: the ultimate saber-class Servant...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Atomicbob likes this.
  6. FlenderSolas

FlenderSolas Active Member Member

Maybe she enchanted the broom into being a huge swatter for pesky cats nearby ;b

Atomicbob likes this.
  7. Passerby

But wait. Here is a broom stick. And here is a dog head, well, wolf head (along with the rest of the wolf). It is confirmed, then. She is an oprichnica!

Atomicbob likes this.
  8. Nechrom

Nechrom Well-Known Member Member

It's difficult to have tangible progress to show off every month.
    Sometimes it's just a lot of back-end work that doesn't translate well into a dev-log. Doesn't mean that things aren't moving forward.

While I love thrown weapons and think they are generally underrepresented in fiction (games, movies etc), there are really very few physical attributes which would impede someone from practicing effective archery where bows don't require an immense draw length.
    It's all about picking the right bow and technique. While someone with huge breasts might not want to pick up a yumi or longbow, there are a lot of shorter draw length bows suited for a style where you just need to draw the string up to the side of your torso.

Graphical representations of DnD characters can get a bit crazy seeing as you're encouraged to always bring as much as you can carry for every eventuality.
    Armor is basically just whatever you or the DM imagine. In the end it just boils down to one or two numbers in practice. Doesn't matter if parts of your body is not covered.

Atomicbob likes this.
  9. Passerby

There is a world of difference between standing still and tall shooting stationary targets for sport; and using a bow in actual combat versus moving and at least somewhat defended target. For the former you need to merely hit the target. For the latter you need to actually harm the target.
    Yes, and an arrow can have only as much energy as a bow gives it at the start. The less is the draw length - the less is the initial energy of an arrow. Lesser energy means lower speed and penetration. And in combat arrows that simply bounce off their targets are useless.
    While it may be true, it is certainly not the case with the picture in question.
    You are also discouraged to do that without Bags of Holding.
    Armour is abstracted to those two numbers for a reason. That reason is presupposition that said armour is actually practical. And as for "parts of your body" - that is entirely up to whether rules about called shots are enabled and enforced.

10. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Well-Known Member Member

Everyone's talking about the lady's gear but come on. That's hardly the most absurd loadout I've seen.
    [​IMG]
    And several games down the line, he gets to be his own wolf companion. :D

Keep plugging away, Benji and crew! Sounds like things are falling (or rather, being guided) into place. Thanks for the update.

Dolfuss, Ritzy and Atomicbob like this.
  11. Nechrom

And if you train with the right bow and technique, you will be able to use the bow effectively in any situation you train for.
    If you just train standing straight and shooting at stationary targets, that's what you are going to become good at.

The shorter draw bows (e.g. composite bows) are intended to transfer more or less the same energy to the arrow. There are of course extreme examples of huge bows requiring a lot of strength to draw which can impart a much greater level of energy to the arrow. But for most practical purposes that's completely overkill.
    Those very high arrow velocities are generally only useful for indirect fire on the battlefield or for extreme penetrating power at closer range.

Maybe this bow design in particular doesn't fulfill the criteria of a practical short draw bow, the general idea is that she would be able to effectively use a similar sized bow of a different design.

Believe me I've spent a lot of time spreadsheeting my character's equipment to optimize my gear. :p
    You can bring a lot of stuff even with these limitations.

Depends completely on the group and the DM, what kind of campaign you're going to play and what the emphasis is going to be on.
    Some DMs and groups are 100% hardcore and will go for trying to kill off PCs constantly.
    Most are balanced and will only pull out the stops at very specific points, in pivotal boss fights or if the players are breezing through it too easily.
    Either way you'll probably know in advance what you can expect and how much you need to min-max.

12. Passerby

Now this is the fallacy of relative privation.
    Okay, then, grab "the right bow and technique" and train to shoot down tanks.

On a more serious note, no, no amount of training can overcome the laws of physics. No matter what some anime may have to say about this.
    Which makes them harder to draw. Which is then further exacerbated by having to draw such a bow while keeping it sufficiently away from your body due to those breasts. Which makes it highly unlikely that you would be able to draw and release this bow quickly and repeatedly.
    While we certainly not discussing english longbowmen here, there is still a lot of difference between penetrating a straw target and a human in at least leather armour or a beast with thick hide.
    Oh I would love to look at that =)
    And then to look at the very same character using throwing weapon. And then compare the results and see, how much effort were wasted in fighting with one's own anatomy.

That muscled hand would just look so lovely with a throwing spear in it. And so very much more effective ^_^
    Yes, right until you have to swim across some body of water, fit through a narrow passage or fight off rust monster infestation.
    The same can be said about any rule within D&D, so if you are going to use this argument - it renders all appellations to D&D ruleset rather moot.

13. Nechrom

If you don't have to "overcome the laws of physics" then training is enough.
    I'm not talking about characters rooted to the ground by over-sized assets.

You always keep the bow at arms length from you and as long as you don't need to draw further back than your arm is long, then breasts are not an issue.
    Once again training is key to be able to do something quickly and repeatedly while remaining accurate.

Which is not an issue for the vast majority of bows regardless of size. If you have a problem penetrating animal hides or light armor and do damage past that, you're probably using some type of native style bow which wasn't created with that in mind. That's small game hunting bows.

That's an alternative.
    But bows and throwing spears have their own limitations. A throwing spear is great as weapon to use before closing in to melee range or against a mounted enemy charging you. But if your fighting style isn't centered around getting into melee range as soon as possible, then having a weaker but longer lasting ranged weapon is the better choice.
    If you are fighting on your own I would pick a throwing spear any day, but in a group there is room to play a more supporting role if you like.
    And in the context of fantasy you also have to take into account flying opponents where a throwing weapon might not have enough range and very limited uses.

Definitely, but you have to weight the positives and the negatives.
    Having a wide variety of equipment will be beneficial in a lot of situations and detrimental in some.
    Rust monsters? Just hit them with your broom. :D

14. BlackAion

BlackAion Member Member

To put my two cents in the archery discussion, any woman that can shoot arrows as well as say an English longbowmen will experience a decrease in their breast size( to a degree as I believe breast fat is essential fat).

Passerby likes this.
  15. Passerby

In a battle - maybe, but in a campaign throwing weapons last longer by simple virtue of being more retrievable than arrows (unless you are dealing with something like acid slimes).
    Human can train to pull off many tricks. That does not make them practical. Someone with smaller breasts would have far easier time and less limitations concerning archery anyway.
    True. But that's is true for any woman starting to do any exercise regularly.

16. Nechrom

Easier time at picking up and learning archery, yes. But when you train around your limitations they don't get in the way in application. As long as you can track targets, maintain accuracy while firing in different directions and repeat it in a timely fashion, you're good.
    I'm not arguing that you can achieve peak archery with any type of body. I'm saying you can become an effective archer while having big breasts.

BlackAion and Passerby like this.
  17. Passerby

But while you are circumventing your limitations - those without such limitations would get far better results. So working against your anatomy is simply inefficient. And while some skills, like swimming, you are going to most likely need anyway, even if your body is ill-suited for those - using specific weapon is not among those.

So why would anyone choose a weapon that is not very compatible with one's anatomy?

18. Nechrom

There are a number of different reasons depending on the situation.

You could be required to fill a certain role and perform a function only that class of weapon can enable you to.
    You might have a specific interest in the weapon and not be in a position where peak performance is required.
    It might be more important to be invested in your weapon of choice rather than being forced to train with a weapon you don't like.
    It might be a secondary armament or a complement to other means of doing combat.
    More fitting weapons might have been unavailable to you at the time of training due to a number of different reasons like: doctrine, religion, societal stigma, limited weapon production, poverty etc.

GuyWhoLurks and Passerby like this.
  19. Passerby

Great points. In short: you are a cleric/druid/paladin/whatever, and your deity's favourite weapon is a bow :D

Great many silly things can be caused by religion (and other social conventions). The question, then, is what kind of dogma can a deity have, if its agents are required to equip bows, broomsticks, mock-armours, long skirts and high heels... Nope, I got nothing, it's just too random... Unless she is worshipping the god of all adventurers - RNGesus, The Giver of Loot, and those items are looted and have some sweet enchantments =)

20. Nechrom

Or she's a noble in a society where every girl starts training with the bow at the age of 8, and judging by her physique, maybe other physical activities.
    Her traveling gear is more for displaying status than it is for actually providing protection in combat.
    The broom is obviously for keeping the camp clean and beating up the odd rust monster. :D

Farlun, Passerby and GuyWhoLurks like this.