1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How about that Enviroment?

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by Regis67, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Regis67

Regis67 Active Member Member

I don't know about anyone else here but I know I love my seasons. I wonder if anyone else has the same idea as me. An idea I have is the lizard race gets a -10% decrease in speed due to being warm blooded in cold weather in winter and a 10% increase during warm weather such as the summer. Any number of race can have a certain advantage for this. Any ideas?

Just a speculation thread. Anything discussed here may not even be in the game.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    RevorDragon likes this.
  2. Nechrom

Nechrom Well-Known Member Member

Seasons in open world games is always tricky to pull off and perhaps more so in a text adventure like this.
    It's easy enough to keep track of the passage of time and passing of seasons, but to implement the effects of it into flavor text and the all the different scenarios that the parser has to handle... that might be a bit much to ask.
    I think we're more likely to see the standard RPG trope of "localized seasons", and that might allow for the effects you describe.

RevorDragon and Regis67 like this.
  3. Regis67

It does sound hard and maybe I could be overestimating parser, but it at least could be very interesting to see. I don't mean that it would include all 12 months but it could help people get a sense of time in game.

4. Shadefalcon

Shadefalcon Active Member Member

I have a feeling it´s probably not gonna be any seasons, but probably areas with different climates. Now wether or not a race has an advantage in that said climate is an interesting thought indeed.

5. Shadow Knight

Shadow Knight New Member Member

So long as there is an ice-themed area or season, I'll be quite happy.

6. Regis67

All I think is it just needs a little bit of work and they could code in a clock at least or have the ability to add backgrounds, but hey I'm not a developer or a coder so I could be worng.

Shadefalcon likes this.
  7. Shadefalcon

Now having a background behind the text seems like an interesting idea. Would probably be a mess to code, seeing as one would have to change the colour of the text, but it´s an interesting idea nonetheless.

8. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

What about height advantages and disadvantages. Say your a amazon that would be good for intimidation, but bad for exploring tight places like caves, dungeons, possibly virgins as well.

RevorDragon likes this.
  9. Tenryuu

Tenryuu Member Member

i will love to see seasons whit some special events in them so i whas thinking, what about doing something like in harvest moon/stardew valley where the years are separated by seasons without months?
    it will be more easy to do only 4 than 12 months i suppose

Regis67 likes this.
  10. Regis67

I'd be up for that in fact the first games I has was nes harvest moon. Bought Stardew on steam and I am satisfied with the developers.

RevorDragon and Tenryuu like this.
  11. Shadefalcon

I second special events. Christhmas, Halloween, Easter (Bunny girls ftw) etc. I can imagine those types of yearly events would be fun to have. I enjoy them in CoC and T.i.T.S. in the very least.

RevorDragon, Regis67 and Tenryuu like this.
  12. Regis67

Hopefully like in coc plains area we can encounter the bunny morph. Hope they won't be too overbearing. Wink wink. :D

Shadefalcon likes this.
  13. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Well-Known Member Member

Maybe not backgrounds, but I could definitely see a little symbol over by the clock that would indicate which season it is.
    Snowflake for winter, flower for spring, sun for summer, leaf for autumn. A little flavour text here and there, some seasonal events, and you got yourself a season cycle. Assuming seasons even do happen.

I do think there will at least be a counter that keeps track of how many game days have passed, as games like this rely on that statistic for various scenes and events.

14. Vectorslip

Vectorslip Active Member Member

Seasons would be a great flavor addition to the game. Them allowing for custom events and such is a great idea too. Affecting stats though, not so much. It could be unnecessarily punishing players just for the character they want to take. A rouge lizardman might really feel the sting of that -10% speed and it might end up making them fail a mission or lose a fight they could have won if they'd just had their normal speed.

15. Regis67

An interesting idea for sure right? I may be overestimating what Benji is building but an idea never hurts.

RevorDragon likes this.
  16. Deimacos

Deimacos Member Member

Isn't the game supposed to have backgrounds planned already? if you look at earlier posts on the blog I'm sure Benji showed GUI concepts whit bg's on them

RevorDragon likes this.