1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

July Update & Important News

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hi folks,

Apologies for the late update. We've got good news and we've got bad news.

Design Changes
    We've decided to move away from having an ever-present minimap, and instead separate this into a navigation mode and a scene mode. The scene mode will be very similar to mock-ups you've seen before. These will happen when an event triggers, when you meet an NPC, when you get into a battle, and so on. However, the navigation mode will for traversing the world itself with a slightly modified GUI to keep it cleaner and more user-friendly.

Carnal Souls v0.0.1

[​IMG]
    Navigation mode mock-up.​

We've yet to put in the surrounding GUI, but you can play with the navigation mode right now (give it a few seconds to load). The game can read, import, and construct .tmx maps made outside of Unity (in this case using Tiled), thanks to Crimson writing a full import script. This includes properties for tiles like being impassable or costing more stamina to traverse, and will mean eventually we can support player-made maps and dungeons later down the line. This was pretty difficult to do and is the first step in Carnal Souls supporting user-made content and mods later down the line.

All the tile sprites, almost 100 of them for coasts, were made by me. The sprites aren't final yet and the map is just a quick demonstration map (the hills are especially quick and dirty). It also has working pathfinding, which should be shown any time you click a distant tile. Simply click it again to move to the destination. It should try to avoid hills and impassable terrain automatically where it makes sense to based on stamina costs. Right now it only supports moving and plotting waypoints, but our next update will put stuff in the world to interact with.

For now, this has replaced the link to the character creation demo, we'll get a new link up for that soon. This release isn't tied to the character creator yet, but will be once the game is ready for it. I know it doesn't seem like much at the moment, but we've got a lot there in the background to build on now.

Next Update
    Camera panning/zooming will be coming soon, possibly the next update. Eventually we'll have roads to make travel easier, rivers and bridges, forests, and other terrain types and biomes, but next we're going to work on a basic battle system and some simple enemies to fight. The parser's not ready to handle full sex scenes yet, so I aim to get some smutty enemy art in there to help tide you guys over until it is.

Later we also plan to tighten up the feel and movement, make the waypoint route stick around and have the marker follow it until the destination is reached, things like that. Lots of things that fall under the 'polish' category that can come later.

As always, any feedback is welcome, bug reports even moreso should you find any. Those go in the bug reports subforum.

---​

The Bad News
    The exchange rate for USD - GBP has tanked, I'm sure most of you have heard. In fact, it's pretty much been bad since the Indiegogo campaign ended at the start of the year. This means that the Indiegogo funds have been going less and less far, taking more pounds to pay every dollar expense. For those unaware, I live in the UK, Crimson in the US. The recent plummet post-Brexit alone has cost us the equivalent of over 2,000USD from our remaining funds, and the dipping rate has been costing us since the beginning. According to most sources, sterling recently hit the lowest it's been in 31 years, and we were under-funded to begin with. All things considered, we've done very well to last this long.

We're not the only ones affected by the UK's vote by any measure (I think it was over 2 trillion in shares gone), but this has been hitting us hard. The bottom line is we've lost about 2-3 months of development time. One needs a gross annual income of 50,000GBP or more to get an international bank account here, so even had I been able to see into the future, there was no avoiding it. Sending the whole sum to Crimson, while I trust him to do so, would've resulted in a massive tax expense, and holding the game's whole budget in Paypal would make it subject to Paypal freezing the funds for literally any reason.

[​IMG]
    From when the Indiegogo campaign started to today.​

What now?
    I have a small amount of money from that Big Book of BNG I made last year coming soon, which will help. I've been talking to my accountant about the best ways to keep that and our incoming Patreon money in USD to protect it from further decline, so future pledges are being protected as much as possible.

The changeover from the end of the Indiegogo money to being supported by the Patreon income was always going to be our rockiest area, but it's now been made all the rockier. What was a stepping stone is now a chasm we have to make it over. We're going to push the game's development as far as we can get it in the time we have, but I hope you all understand what this means. Crimson will have to find a new job soon or he risks being unable to stay where he is. I'll need to do the same or go back to commissions full-time. We've always said we'll work on Carnal Souls in our free time if we have to, and we will, but it means a long and uncertain delay on things.

Unless we can get the Patreon up enough to support us, and within the next two months.

I've changed the Patreon's goal from 3000 to 5500. That's just about enough to keep us going with the new rates, if we need more I'll work in extra commissions, but that is everything I need to keep Crimson paid and keep myself fed. We're going to do everything we can for Carnal Souls. We're tired, we're terrified, sleep is a memory and food is optional, but we're going to get CS as far as we can. We know we need your help, and we're going to keep working to earn it.

I welcome any ideas to boost our income, but the most direct way to help right now is the Patreon. It pays out to Payoneer in USD each month, and I think we can work it so Crimson can get paid directly from there while still keeping adequate tax records, protecting future pledges from GBP where possible. I'm considering running an emergency Indiegogo as a last resort, but only as a last resort.

As always, what you guys think is important. Please let us know what you think and if you have ideas. Signal boosts, anything like that goes a long way if you can't pledge. I don't blame anyone for getting angry or outraged, trust me when I say it's been a kind of slow, waking nightmare, but anger won't help Carnal Souls pull through. I know how it looks when a project asks for help before completion, but you don't have to take my word for it. This isn't an unsubstantiated 'I got robbed' or 'my grandma is super ill'. The UK economy is now in the toilet, and it has had a very real impact on us because that's where I live.

I don't think I can be held responsible for my country's decision to uproot itself from the surrounding world, but I am responsible for Carnal Souls, and both I and Crimson are going to do everything we can to push it through. If we can get the Patreon up enough to see us through and secure Carnal Souls' immediate future, we'll do something to thank everyone. I don't know how yet, I'll happily take suggestions should we get there, but I won't forget any help we receive now because without it, we're in trouble.

We'll have the next update for you as soon as we can.

EDIT: It looks like Paypal and Patreon have worked something out allowing people to use Paypal to pledge to adult content projects: https://twitter.com/AyCeeArt/status/752970982021705729

I'll keep my eye open for anything more official on it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
    Andrew Davenport likes this.
  2. Strawkitty

Strawkitty New Member Member

Not surprised you had a bit of a delay due to the current bit economical uncertainty in UK.

On Patreon side of things there's potentially something that might bump up at least the accessibility of becoming a patron for Carnal Souls.
    https://certifiedhypocrite.tumblr.com/post/147302020261/well-ill-be-damned
    Apparently adult Patreon accounts can now accept payments from patrons using paypal. Although naturally you will want to do some double checking on this first Benji but potentially it could get some more people on board.

Benji likes this.
  3. Benji

Yeah, a friend let me know about the change a few minutes ago, made an edit to the original post. If that's the case then it'll definitely help us a lot. If anyone has more details, please post them here.

Strawkitty likes this.
  4. Strawkitty

It's definitely a good thing if it goes through okay because there likely are fans who would love to support the game but can only use paypal.

I shall have to take more time tomorrow to go through the actual new game content preview/test as it is late in the night. It's looking swell though and the idea of eventually creating dungeons/areas is inspiring. :3

NizzJipple and Benji like this.
  5. Geni

Geni New Member Member

an adult artist I follow has copypasted an email he recieved from patreon for further expansion. hopefully this explains more.

Benji likes this.
  6. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Can't say I didn't see this coming, but I didn't know you guys were that desperate.

I'm not up to speed with NSFW stuff so can't really help you in this matter, but if you guys need any help with the text-based part of the game (item/town descriptions, short scenes etc) I might try to help out with some placeholder stuff, as long as it will ease your workload. I'd love to help a bit in the design department but with my experience being Unreal Engine 4 and its blueprint system I'm afraid I couldn't do much in Unity (I'm not a coder).

On a side note - Yay for Paypal donations! I'll finaly be able to throw you guys some buck. Not much now, but if I'll get a job then I'll hopefuly give more.

Still, for the two month timeline, I'd suggest some additional promotion among adult RPG fans, as you need a boost of popularity to reach the funding goals.

Well, fucking Brexit.

#VoteRecession #MakeBritainGreatAagain #ByeScotland #OneIreland #AtLeastWeStillHaveWales

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Benji likes this.
  7. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

Hot-dog'in-betwixt-butt-cheeks-god-damn, an update! Player made maps are coming! I can't wait for the opportunity to transfer my ideas to my own slice of the in-game world - Oh YES,YES, YES.
    OH NO, NO, NO -Shit! I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you for all of your hard work so far, Benji, Crimson.
    I thought this would prolly effect you guys negatively, And I wish there was something more to give than just my condolences, but I just can't right now- else I'd starve. Hopefully H-O-P-E-F-U-L-L-Y the Paypal change will reinvigorate life in the Patreon.

Tenryuu, Farlun and Benji like this.
  8. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

Just played the demo a tad and I have to say its buttery-smooth.
    It's exactly what I imagined it would play like too, when I saw the original mock-up world map.

Now on too a slightly different topic. I have BEGUN emphasis on BEGUN- writing some scenes, one in particular being a bandit encounter. My hope was to put it into my own custom map, now this is my arrogant as hell question:

Benji, do you want me to try and complete writing it so you can stick it into the game as a placeholder?
    It might-MIGHT convince some people to go ahead and donate through Patreon, seeing as there SOME interact-able present.

And yes, I see one major Issue with this- A good first Impression. If you go through with the idea I will burn my ass to get that encounter finished, but if you do put it into the game, MAKE SURE people realize it's from an outside source, not super-official-this-is-what-your-Patreon-money-funded-content.

So it's up to you, and I'll understand If you say no.
    I just want the project to succeed and blow people away. AND set a new standard in lewd-RPG greatness. :)

EDIT: I'm just gonna assume the answers a nope. Haha- can't say I didn't try.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    FlenderSolas likes this.
  9. Zanzuki93

Zanzuki93 Member Member

i am very sorry about this turn of events but i don't think i will be able to support the project past my indiegogo pledge sorry to say i am not in a position where i could if i wanted but i hope everything works out :)

Benji likes this.
  10. Azthra

Azthra New Member Member

I had hoped this would not happen though I had my doubts. As of now I can not offer much support but come September I will do all I can to provide some financial support. Hang in there guys, you've done a great job so far and I hope that even if this becomes a part time project it will continue no matter how slowly.

FlenderSolas, Zanzuki93 and Benji like this.
  11. FlenderSolas

FlenderSolas Active Member Member

Don't lose hope Benny-Boy even if you fall you can get back up and we'll help you get back on ya feet faster! You're a shining diamond in the (sometimes drenched in suspicious liquid) rough.

Like a certain annoying time-jumping brit said:
    "Cheers, luv! The Cavalry's here!" :D

Benji likes this.
  12. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Yeah, another thing: Don't give up. Britain's stupidity ain't a good enough reason to give this game up.

I can see passion and ambition put into this project, I'd be a shame for it to become another abandoned adult RPG. You're better than that! *W*

13. Benji

We're not giving up, not a chance. :)

And thank you guys for all the words of support, it really helps.

14. FlenderSolas

FlenderSolas Active Member Member

HAIL TO THE KING!

Farlun, Benji and NizzJipple like this.
  15. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Active Member Member

That's some sad news indeed.
    I'm not even able to provide a signal boost right now, as the only other 'Adult' online community I was a part of recently got gutted by a hacker.

But!
    I definitely believe that things will take a turn for the better. You guys have been working on the behind the scenes stuff primarily, but once more of the flashy, show-offy bits get done and made public, prospective players and Patrons will start coming in. I'm sure of it.

I don't know about anyone else, but when CS gets back on solid ground, I wouldn't mind a celebratory stream of some kind. They're fun, and engaging, and the one you did near the end of the indiegogo was a blast.

Speaking of indiegogo and patreon and all that... If you do get to "emergency indiegogo" levels, I'd definitely be able to find something to send your way, but I'm just not one for using patreon. I'm fine with giving a lump-sum donation, but I don't care for doing a monthly pledge.
    Not sure why. Maybe I'm just old. Sorry :s

Benji likes this.
  16. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Once I have a credit card instead of just a debit card (online security and all that), I intend to support the Patreon. I want to see this game happen, so very badly.

Benji likes this.
  17. somedude2448

somedude2448 New Member Member

Agreed with this statement. Once you have everything fleshed out and get this project rolling with regular monthly updates that provide content. People will start supporting your Patreon more. It's just unfortunate to get there, it will take more time that you no longer have. So it will be a tough year for you guys and you will likely have to continue this project on your free time until then. Good luck and try to keep your spirits up. We are all looking forward to Carnal Souls becoming a reality.

Benji likes this.
  18. Ursula

Ursula New Member Member

Remember that bad times don't last forever, and that there is always light at the end of the tunnel, and I'm sure that you and your team will reach that light. Just don't lose hope and stay determined.

I'll help in any way I can.

Benji likes this.
  19. Strawkitty

Alright the map navigation is working really smooth and looks very nice. Also the impassable rivers and mountains are giving me an idea about the given values the tiles can have. Like perhaps after gaining certain items or skills one might be able to scale mountains and have an chance at an encounter with a huge fluffy mountain goat lady. :3

The camera shifts quickly to the new location though and I was kinda expecting it to trail the path in case it might need to make a stop due to encounter. Although I suppose if there is an encounter it would just snap to the tile where the encounter happens instead of the final tile. And naturally if player prefers that they could just move tile by tile and there could be some strategy to planning a route through the areas. Making longer paths consuming less supplies, reduce the stamina drain etc but in return traveling fast through tiles might make you miss some details/events in them.

Also this is just first version but occasionally the autopathing makes curves outside of the screen (mostly on the huge lakes which is understandable) and you can't really scroll around to see what tiles the path takes you through. Not a big issue though.

Just having the eventual option to import maps and give properties to the tiles is quite inspiring.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  20. Benji

:)

Farlun and Strawkitty like this.