1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, May 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

This past month has been pretty much end-to-end with crappiness; if you're interested or just morbidly curious I'll add the details at the end of this update. Despite that there has been progress made, and things are evening out again now.

Goldie's been focusing hard on the body system. As most of you know it will be another big step towards having functioning content in the game. However, it has a long list of requirements and as such requires careful planning; there's been a lot of hours this month spent with all of us working out the details and how to build it. I'm happy to say that many of the big, hard questions have been answered and the plan for it is starting to take shape. There's already a lot of parts of it built already; math for different body parts is already written, most of the intricacies are laid out, we know where everything goes and what affects what else.

I'd estimate that overall it's more than half way done, what remains is mostly just building the parts that are missing and testing it. Every single part has slightly different behaviour, the challenge has been to identify the commonalities between parts and utilise those where possible. For instance, a potential form of classification is that parts' volumes are calculated either as a cylinder or as a sphere, before being modified for more accuracy. Nipples and dicks are cylinders, breasts are spheres more or less halved with adjustment for shape. By finding characteristics like that it allows us to better standardise part creation interfaces.

There's also the matter of parent-child relationships. Our system is not too dissimilar from a file tree - the body being the root and objects attaching to it, with further objects attached to those. Doing it this way should allow us to expand easily on the system as we go forward, as well as do clever things like expressing the tree inside Unity's interface allowing us to easily debug and visualise what's happening. Another goal is to make parts easily creatable on the fly - this means we can give NPC's bodyparts as and when they need them, instead of having tons of useless data floating around just in case it's needed. The deeply technical parts of how that works are a bit beyond my understanding, but after a lot of thought and planning the team have come up with elegant ways to make it happen.

I apologise that updates on the body system are a bit dry; it's a very big, very intricate system that doesn't get made overnight. We're all of the mindset that we can rush it and rewrite it over and over, or get it right and build on it as we go.

Until next time!

---

Notated version of Benji's April:
    Girlfriend of 4.5 years, plans on marriage, that ended. Cordially, but that took some time to get over. Brother-in-law's dog went missing same day they got him, three days out looking with flashlights and making posters. Found it though. It had to have an amputation and now I'm helping them cover the operation costs best I can. Main monitor died, screwing up my workspace for a while, but managed to get a replacement. Am also still giving up smoking, too. Not off them completely but still committed to doing it.

2. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

Bad stuff usually comes in threes, sorry that you had that stuff happen. Fingers crossed that some good things will come your way, and soon! :D (and hey, good job on continuing to quit smoking. my family is rife with nicotine addiction, and I know how hard giving it up can be. keep with it!)

Glad to hear that the body system is coming along well! I cannot wait to get my hands on it to see for myself, and appreciate all the hard work you guys are putting into the game.
    I've been re-reading the old plans that were had for the game (the essence/augment system in particular) and am curious as to how much of the game has changed since development began. How different or similar will the game be to what you guys originally envisioned. What had to be cut, and what new stuff was added in that wasn't even considered at first? Apologies for the small wall of questions, hehe.

Keep on trucking, everyone! Here's hoping that it'll get easier from here for you. <3

Farlun and Benji like this.
  3. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Good to hear the news Benji, and first of all I am sorry for all the stuff that happened, hope you'll get over all of it soon. I don't know what else to say, it all sucks and it's always awful to get through things like that. I hope the dog's at least doing well, I can't imagine what would I feel if something happened to mine...

Anyway, great to hear the news and that so much stuff is done already. It's great that you're doing it good from the get go instead of rushing in. So many simillar games have died when content introduction was stopped because suddenly they had to rewrite half of the code...

Which begs the question: How many more systems do you need to design before the game reaches a playable state?

NizzJipple likes this.
  4. Crimson

Crimson New Member Staff

Quick rundown of our high-level to-do list:
    • Body System (in design). Necessary for story content to be "aware" of the player's unique character.
    • Director/Parser (mostly done). Necessary for presenting prose during story encounters and battles.
    • Director/Parser Commands (in progress). Necessary to query the body system, battle system, etc, for character info.
    • Battle System (in progress). Necessary for overworld/dungeon travel and battles.
    • Battle UI (mostly done). Necessary for interacting with the battle side of the game.
    • Story/Town UI (in design). Necessary for interacting with the story side of the game.
    • Character Creation UI (mostly done). Necessary for creating the player's character.
    • Integrate all systems together (in progress). This is mostly just a summation of "Director/Parser Commands" and the three UIs.
    • Initial Game Content (in progress).
    In order for the game to reach a playable state, most of the items in the list above need to reach a state of completion. The one exception is the command set for the Director and Parser, because there is a whole lot of content that can be written with a subset of the planned command list.

5. Atomicbob

Will there be demos for some of the systems kinda like the character creator demo, Crimson?

6. Crimson

Crimson New Member Staff

As much as I would like to get demos out so people can start enjoying an actual game, by the time we have a playable demo, the game itself is pretty much done except for content. Character creation was easy because it's self contained. Demoing the rest of the game when any of the game's systems are incomplete is a challenge. The Body system is fairly self-contained, but it's not a visual system with any kind of UI outside of the Unity editor. All of the other remaining systems depend in some way on the Body or on each other.

In order to give you a story scene, we need Body+Content+Director/Parser+StoryUI. In order to give you a battle, we need Body+Content+Director/Parser+BattleUI. If you want to be able to rest up and heal between battles, we need the Town UI (which also covers setting up camp in overworld).

At the point in which something becomes playable, the game is pretty much done, but that road to getting all of those pieces working together is still a bit long.

RevorDragon, Atomicbob and Ritzy like this.
  7. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

Really good to see the progress and what still needs to be done, I love transparency like this.

Keep on trucking Benji, it sucks to hear you've had to deal with bullshit but I believe you'll get through it. There's always tomorrow.

Atomicbob likes this.
  8. Atomicbob

Oh well, I'm perfectly fine with waiting longer for a completed game! :D
    Also, as DevilBone mentioned, I'm a big fan of how transparent you guys have been with the development, and these monthly updates are a pleasure to read. I cannot wait to play the game! Don't take that as a plea to hurry, though: great things come to those who wait! <3

RevorDragon likes this.
  9. FlenderSolas

FlenderSolas Active Member Member

It happens to the best of us, Cap'n Benny. But it is good to hear there's progress made despite the numerous shortcomings and pitfalls. We will patiently wait till the next update from you and the group drops.

A thousand times thank you fer the sitrep, comrade. And hats off to you kicking the smoking addiction to the curb, readily gave mine up last year after a little incident involving the stove and a stray cat. That was nasty business, that was.

RevorDragon, Benji and Atomicbob like this.
  10. Zanzuki93

Zanzuki93 Member Member

Benji i read this the day it came out but am just now getting around to chatting nice to see progress is being made. However for the bad news i cannot help but express apologies. Also glad to hear you are quitting smoking :D

11. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Well-Known Member Member

I understand quitting smoking to be a very difficult thing at the best of times. Doing so alongside all that other crap has to be hellish.

Best of luck, Benji! And, as always, thanks for the update.

RevorDragon likes this.
  12. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Thank you for the reply!

Actualy, you guys should make this list semi-public somewhere other than the forum, because it shows CS is way further along the developement than I expected - You really have a lot stuff done already, way more than I thought.

Thumbs up for that reply Crimson, can't wait to see the results of your hard labor.