Mid-August Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

Apologies for being a couple days late. It's been a busy week, including my sister's wedding tomorrow.

Goldie and I have been working closely on Bodyparts. Unfortunately Crimson's current situation doesn't afford him much free time for the moment, so Goldie and I are kind of tethered to continuing work on the Body until Crimson can put through the pull requests. Fortunately, there's lots there to be busy with, and all of it worthwhile, seeing as the Body is such a fundamental system for Carnal Souls.

As it stands there are 33 different types of Bodypart. Every Penis for instance is divided into four parts: Knot, Shaft, Glans, Foreskin. A Penis will always contain at least a Shaft and a Glans, but can also have a Knot and Foreskin added. These can all be tweaked and changed individually, or by targeting the Penis container object, all be affected together. Also, as some of you might remember, CS uses a relative size system for descriptions. This is to ensure that parts are described according to your Body scale - A 12" dick is much bigger on a goblin than it is on say, a centaur, and the game's aware of this. However, some parts need to be relative to other parts.

Goldie's done good work making this happen. So now, Foreskin can be described relative to the Glans which it surrounds. If you make your Glans very large, you'll find that your Foreskin seems to be relatively smaller and tighter, and vice versa. This will give us much more expressive descriptions than describing it relative to your Body.

I've been going through Bodyparts and more closely inspecting their behaviours. Belly is a complex one, as its size is affected on multiple fronts by Fatness and any objects it contains - either fluid, eggs, offspring, etc. Thanks to the excellent tree-like system built for us, it's no problem to have parts affecting other parts directly (good for inflation and pregnancy fans). Hips and Shoulders also needed some figuring out, as they're I think the only objects with no calculated volume of their own. Instead, they act as extra dimensions to Upperbody and Lowerbody, changing their volumes respectively.

I've also been teaching myself Blender and 3D stuff. Aside from the belief that it never hurts to expand one's skill set, I'm exploring the possibility of using it to generate weapon and item pictures. Here's my first attempt, my cleric's very silly warhammer based heavily on the Boom Hammer from Bloodborne. Only with wyvern horns stuck on, because why not. There's also the possibility of using 3D to quickly put together a scene, like a castle, before painting over it for backgrounds.

Hopefully more juicy stuff soon. Let's wish Crimson well during a pretty tough time so he can get back to working his programmatic wizardry for us.

Until next time!

2. Akhter13

Akhter13 Member Member

any snip option?

3. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Active Member Member

With every update on CS, my excitement only continues to grow! Keep up the amazing work and dedication, guys. :D

I know that, right now, one of the biggest concerns is the body system, but I'm a bit curious about how magic will work in Carnal Souls. Will magic be just as diverse as the body/transformation systems?

4. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Of course.

It should be, but it'll probably get more interesting after release. For the time being it's mostly a combat thing that I want to expand later as content additions.

Atomicbob likes this.
  5. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Active Member Member

Ooh, awesome! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with for it.

6. Deimacos

Deimacos Member Member

Beware the 3d path, it can lead to a distasteful art style if not done properly.

7. Zanzuki93

Zanzuki93 Member Member

It isn't a easy thing putting together a body with so much variability however I feel that focusing on it will make everything easier. Also well wishes towards crimson :D

8. Passerby

Passerby Active Member Member

Because those horns will end up either breaking off hammer on the first strike or causing this hammer to get stuck in the target. So they are useless at best and disadvantageous at worst. When designing weapons one should consider who is going to use it and how. To understand this one should consider what is the damaging factor of said weapon. For example: for hammer-like weapons such factor is either momentum by itself (for blunt variations, such as war hammers), or momentum together with penetration ability provided by geometry of weapon's head (for more pointed variations, like bec de corbin).

And since momentum is product of velocity and mass, and velocity in this case is quotient of applied force and mass - the main factor for those weapons is applied force and (contrary to popular belief) not the mass of the weapon, so there are no reason to make weapon head so massive. Making this weapon heavy would only lead to it becoming slow, unwieldy and easy to dodge. In general, weapon head need to be only heavy enough to shift weapon's centre of mass towards the tip.

P.S. As a rule of a thumb: if your weapon gets any more ridiculous than any of Eighteen Arms of Wushu - you may want to reconsider its design.

Milkman and FlenderSolas like this.
  9. Akhter13

Akhter13 Member Member

The only excuse for ridiculous weapon design is if it is not so much a weapon as an artifact.
    No one would give you grief for a silly looking hammer head if it was used primarily as a siege weapon, on account of it causing earthquakes.
    Or the reverse scenario:
    "Jenny you brought a hand-mirror to a knife-fight, are you mad?"
    "This mirror consumes the souls of any whose refection is caught."
    "Fair enough, I'll be waiting out side the pub until that thing is back in your handbag."

Milkman, Zanzuki93, Benji and 2 others like this.
  10. Passerby

Passerby Active Member Member

True enough, but even artifacts have some logic to their design.

First of all: it is plain silly to make an artifact that would be easily recognizable as such. Why? Because artifacts are things of great value, and making one that is easily recognizable is like painting a huge target on it with "steal/disjunct/destroy me!" sign on top of it and its wielder. So a flashy relic is a sign of a newbie artificer. Obscured artifacts, on the other hand. are hallmarks of true masters. Prime example of such artifact is The One Ring - you cannot tell it apart from ordinary gold ring unless you know that you should put it into the fire.

Second: artifacts usually have some kind of access restriction mechanism, so as to limit their unintended use by those, who are considered undesirable wielders by artificer. Examples of such are so numerous, that one of standard uses of "Use Magic Device" skill in D&D 3.5 is circumventing such mechanisms.

11. Zanzuki93

Zanzuki93 Member Member

i Agree if this weapon is of great power it should not just let anyone wield it there should be a failsafe of some sort for the weapon :)