1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-March Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

Slightly less than great news this week. We're currently in a poor position due to needing Crimson to perform key updates, however they're not in great shape. Crimson is still able to work, albeit slowly so as not to jeapordise their day job as well as an ongoing struggle with depression. Unfortunately this particular work is outside Goldie's expertise, given it includes work updating systems Crimson created, and nor can we really build anything new until it's done - since what we need to do for the next client update is dependent on what Crimson's working on. Our little circle of developers are still looking at solutions and ways to help Crimson, but the end result is likely going to mean this part takes more time than we'd like. But, such is the life when operating on such a small budget. Crimson could easily ditch CS for an easier life, but none of us are beginning to entertain the idea of doing so. I can only thank you for your patience during this time, and hope you join me in showing support for an excellent and dedicated developer even when things are tough.

In the mean time, as the lovely Farlun pointed out, the Codex has been in need of some updating, so I'm currently in the process of doing exactly that. I'll do my best to keep new things coming like lore and art in the interim. If there's anything in particular you'd like me to focus on, feel free to submit ideas.

Something I've been doing is drawing friends' D&D characters as a way of generating concepts I can use in Carnal Souls, since it lets me design armour and characters. I can say with certainty that learning the game and playing it has vastly improved my perception of RPG's (as well as hugely souring my view of modern ones such as Fallout 4 and, to some extent, Skyrim).

[​IMG]
    Heavy metal bard.

[​IMG]
    Shortstack demon raised by gnolls.

[​IMG]
    Centaur sorceress / clothier.

[​IMG]
    Paladin of the tempest.
    These may or may not turn up in CS as they are, but have been very inspiring to work from. Centaurs, for instance, I'm leaning towards making them a middle-eastern analogue. I'll update the codex with that soon. Having a bard who accidentally invents heavy metal is a great idea as well, and can perhaps teach the player new spells related to it.

Thoughts are always welcome. I can only apologise for the slow development progress, but we can only do so much with what we have. Once Crimson's able to complete the current merge work, Goldie and I can resume building new things for the next client update.

Until next time!

2. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

Get well soon, Crimson! <3

I'm also really fond of these character designs you've been putting out, Benji: I bet it's gotten the creative juices flowing! Love the idea of centaurs being in-game, and having a bard accidentally create heavy metal is an awesome concept. As far as races is concerned, would an inorganic race like Warforged be too out of place in Carnal Souls?

3. Benji

Hmm... I see no reason why not. D&D at the very least has inspired me to think about other planes of existence. (I think Warforged are from Mechanus?). I'm getting ideas of someone trying to create the world's first sexbots, but they're too big and clumsy to be anything but dangerous, perhaps not without the player's help refining them.

Atomicbob likes this.
  4. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member Member

Then let me present you one such solution - Collective Code Ownership. It solves and prevents problems of exactly that kind.
    No, with depression it does not work like that. The more time you have on you hands - the more time you tend to spend wallowing in your misery. Idleness is inadvisable.
    Physics: metric sizes of the world, population of cities, length of time units (days/months/years), composition of celestial bodies (moons, visible planets, brightest starts);
    And metaphysics: deities, outsiders, souls, "life energy", afterlife,
    and yes, this.
    What for? The poor do not have money to buy something like that, the rich do not have any need for that - they can get living partner quite easily.

Long before such ideas there should be miningbots, buildingbots, carrierbots - you know, inorganics doing things at which inorganics are actually better than organics. And easier to construct for, to boot.

Seriously, @Benji, not everything in the game needs to revolve around sex.

Yes, there is a precedent with Pygmalion and Galatea, but it is a far cry from "creating a sexbot" -_-

FlenderSolas and Atomicbob like this.
  5. Akhter13

Akhter13 Active Member Member

So Pygmalion...and when I think about that would the term be sex-golem? One may wish to move away from "robota" forced labour suggests no consent and that goes to no fun places
    But if you were to say animate such a construct a life force that actively sort such encounter...say a horny ghost...or a trapped spirit that has had nobody in centuries [in both senses] and wants to make up for lost time

On a different tack will there be any willowy types knocking about?
    I note the use of semi-boob armor in the last image, for those less physically ostentatious could some be fitted with little side panel so you could say store a sandwich for later? Much as codpieces used to be coin purses?

Dolfuss likes this.
  6. Akhter13

Akhter13 Active Member Member

The Socioeconomic implications must be considered they would be massive. Most organic would be unemployed/leisured and so much less likely to give missions.
    Easier to construct? Unless this world has mastered quality control and interchangeable parts [ie second industrial revolution] no having sex and waiting is much easier.
    The traditional approach could have the answer ie golems crudely form the creature into the shape you want and bind a motive force/spirit which then moves the being.
    Then the limit on the number of these constructs becomes the amount of available spirits willing to do the work.

7. Passerby

Not true. It is highly unlikely, that such golems would be able to engage in agriculture or anything more complex or subtle. In fact for crude automations there are only so much areas where their usage would be feasible.
    The traditional approach dictates that spirit is not required to be willing - he is summoned and bound to provide a source of life-force, but the will of the golem is only "to follow orders indefinitely" and independent of the will of the spirit bound to it.

No, the true limiter would be inability to mass-produce those golems.

8. Atomicbob

Can agree on that: I start feeling really shitty if I'm not working or doing something.

I may have no place to tell @Benji otherwise, but I'm with Passerby on this one. Don't get me wrong, I know that Carnal Souls is and will be an H-Game first and foremost, and that's awesome! However, there are also opportunities here I think to flex the team's creative muscles: mix it up with designs and ideas inspired by D&D and other RPGs in the same vein, and build off of that in order to make Carnal Souls something wholly unique. Making everything in the world revolve around sex has been done before (and often times poorly in TiTS' case).

At the end of the day, though, this is still you and your team's baby: I don't want to step on any toes here and tell you how to create what you want to create. <3

FlenderSolas and Passerby like this.
  9. Benji

I don't feel I have made everything about sex. 'Sexbots' or rather dolls have been a hot topic lately, hence the idea, that's all. My aim has always been a game with sex in it rather than a game only about sex, and that hasn't changed.

FlenderSolas, Atomicbob and Passerby like this.
  10. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

If you want to be further soured, here's a nice, long video for your viewing pleasure.

Edit: Yes, I do agree with the majority of the video, in case anyone was wondering.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Atomicbob likes this.
  11. Passerby

Understood. Still, it would be terribly anachronistic (creating such thing before warbots and laborbots). And there is so much more to be about themes of artificial life oh one hand and inorganic life - on the other.

Take Shale for example. A dwarven warrior turned golem to better fight a losing battle.

In case of Luud it can be something along the line of some paladin (we have gods, we have alignments - we have to have paladins, duh) with a bad case of "no one but me" seeing that the particular brand of evil he fights would easily outlive him and deciding to request a mage (or priest, or whatever) within his order to turn him into golem so that he can fight that evil without rest and without regard to his age. Said mage, knowing said paladin rather radical tendencies turned him into a golem, but created a control rod that forced him to obey commands of whomever is holding the rod as long as the holder is not of evil or chaotic alignment and the commanded action itself is not an evil or chaotic act.

Decades, maybe even centuries passed since then. The paladin-turned-golem's control rod changed owners many times. He saw how the good are tricked by the evil, fall prey to unfortunate circumstances beyond their control or simply misguided by their own ignorance. He has done many good deeds, of course, but also ended up causing many disasters as well. Over time he would learn how it feels to be submitted to someone else's power dictating what is good and lawful.

What about PC? Well, maybe he will meet said Paladin as an situational ally, or maybe PC would find himself on the receiving end of said Paladin's smitings. Maybe PC even get a hold of the aforementioned control rod.

Yes, I do love to deconstruct the whole "force for good" concept. Especially the "force" part.

Atomicbob likes this.
  12. Benji

Pretty interesting idea, I like it. I haven't toyed with golems or warforged much yet as far as D&D goes, but it's been a goldmine of ideas. One such idea was for a warforged sorcerer called Keeper who was tasked / tasked himself to carry and protect the soul of a sorcerer he held dear, to the end of one day restoring him or, at the very least, delivering it to his family crypt or something. Thus the soul (I imagined contained within a clock on his chest) granted Keeper his magic in lieu of a sorcerous bloodline of his own.

Atomicbob and Passerby like this.
  13. Atomicbob

Of course. Again, I have no intention of stepping on toes here, and I apologize if I came across as critical of you or the project.

I love Shale so much, and its a shame that we never got another Golem companion in the DA games...

This right here is why I adore D&D. The sole reason (ha ha) for this Warforged's existence is devotion to this soul of a friend, and this soul also gives the Warforged it's powers: character backstory, motivation, place in the world, and source of power all explained in a nice, neat paragraph. Gah, I love it!

14. Atomicbob

I am saddened to see Bethesda moving further and further away from the style of RPG that they've used for their games in the past. I get wanting to add quality of life stuff and cutting out needless fluff (*cough cough* stamina drains while running in Morrowind *cough cough*), but dumbing it down like they did in Fallout 4 was criminal. There is still a place for complex RPGs in the modern age, and you'd only need to look at the success of Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin 2, XCOM, and Pillars of Eternity to see that. I sincerely hope that Bethesda's next few games take heed and fix that misguided focus they've had for their last few games.

NizzJipple and Dolfuss like this.
  15. GreenSleeves

GreenSleeves Well-Known Member Member

All love to Crimson. That's a heavy weight to carry. <3

Looking forward to the lore! I see the Codex has already been updated so I know my next stop!

Atomicbob likes this.
  16. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

Aw hell, I've been in both boats far more often than I'd like to admit. :( Needless to say, I feel Crimson's pain.

It's funny because Wasteland was the precursor to Fallout. ;)

Atomicbob likes this.
  17. Atomicbob

Oh I know, and given that Isometric RPGs like Wasteland 2 are still so damn popular, I expect we'll see more games like it.

18. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

if that centaur isnt in the game i will be very disappointed for two very big reasons.

Dolfuss, Ritzy, Benji and 1 other person like this.
  19. Atomicbob

Potentially more, if CS's centaurs have accurate horse anatomy (I.E., crotch-boobs)