1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mid-November Update

Discussion in 'Updates' started by Benji, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Hey guys,

Only a short update today, it's been a difficult month. A friend got covid, my nephew got covid, a pet died, the list goes on. I've not been in a great space mentally, though I have at least gotten the majority of work done on that commission I mentioned last time that will be the last on my list.

I am eager to get back to coding again, once I have the capacity for it. I need my entire brain to make any semblance of progress. Turns out programming's really hard, but I am getting there little by little, and I have friends who are able to help me when I get stuck.

On the plus side, time away has given me fresh eyes on what I've been working on for character attributes and stats. I think there's a good amount of work here still yet to do in order to boil everything down to its most essential parts. I want there to be depth so that players can make their characters how they want, but not so much that it requires looking over screens full of numbers all the time. If anyone has some recommendations on simple but effective RPG systems, tabletop or videogames, feel free to post them; I can always do with more material to look at.

2. WulfesHeafod

WulfesHeafod Member Member

Oh my, that sounds like a very awful time, I'm sorry you've had to go though so much all at once : (

Dolfuss and NizzJipple like this.
  3. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

What on earth did your past self do that the fates conspire to keep sucker-punching you like this? :(

4. Mustang Flex

Mustang Flex Member Member

Sorry to hear about life kicking you in the dick recently, but I'm glad it hasn't kept you down.

As for game systems. I'm really partial to something similar to the stat and skill spread from The Elder Scolls, particularly Oblivion. Since it doesn't include classes (or rather, the classes don't force you to use certain things, and you can dabble in whatever), and leveling is done via using skills instead of more abstract exp. For another game, Skyrim, especially with the mod Ordinator has an interesting way to build characters with it's perk tree system.

If you're thinking more along the lines of a traditional rpg, Pathfinder 1st edition is one of my favorites, though most of the D20 based systems are easy enough to get the hang of stat wise. One thing I'd suggest not taking from pf is how much of your character's build has to be decided up front. Just a personal taste, but any amount of build choice that can happen as you play instead of needing to know what you're choosing when is for the best.

Benji and Dolfuss like this.
  5. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Agree on all fronts, Mustang. I remember enjoying Ordinator a lot. Currently trying to hit a middle-ground between D&D 5e systems I know and love, whilst also having it be a more open approach so that you can grow as you like.

Mustang Flex likes this.