1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questing and You

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by Godwin, May 3, 2016.

1. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

So, this thread was going to be made eventually, and while questing is probably the farthest thing from our Esteemed Creator's minds at present, this can act as a repository of opinions, ideas and inspiration moving forward, acting double as another method of stimulating discussion as we wait for updates. As a disclaimer, I find it unlikely anything talked about in here will be represented exactly in game, if at all.

With that out of the way, what kind of quests do you guys enjoy? What would you like to see? Are there any outstanding examples from other games you'd like to see emulated? What games do questing well and what games suffer? What separates good quests from bad quests? Have any ideas for a quest of your own to share? Anything and everything quest related, right here.

2. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

The Witcher 3 did quests seriously well in my opinion. Side quests made a lot of sense in the way you found them, all of them seemed to have a decent fleshed out story, and the Hunts were seriously cool. If there are monster hunting quests of a similar fashion in CS I would be very happy.

Patrick R. Key likes this.
  3. Patrick R. Key

Patrick R. Key Active Member Member

I have to agree, although I hope there will be a bigger emphasis on preparing for those fights.

Passerby likes this.
  4. Zanzuki93

Zanzuki93 Member Member

i hope there is a lot of cool quests that have motivations other than lets just do this quest out of the bottom of our heart kind of deal IMO :D

5. JfromfarPY

JfromfarPY Member Member

About the "radiant quests" I would like to see something similar to Skyrim, if you are from the mage type Rival Mages will come to challange you; randomly run into robbers or find and old warrior looking for a "Honorable Death"; you know, those type of quests.

Tenryuu likes this.
  6. Passerby

Passerby Well-Known Member Member

I would like quests, that have rewards other than material gains. Like "Unfathomable Depths" quest from Skyrim or Black Book quests from Skyrim: Dragonborn. Unique perks, epic essences, magic unseen ever before - those kinds of rewards.

7. Shadefalcon

Shadefalcon Active Member Member

I´d like to have quests that helps building up your guilds (If we do have guilds). Doing more and more of them unlocks new things and interactions with the guild and its members.
    I like that there is a fair chance that we´re gonna have quest boards. I´m curious to how they´re gonna be constructed. Do we take one from the board and embark on the quest? Do we meet the quest´s requirement(s) and then turn it in for profit? Or something else?
    I also hope for some silly quests. Like the talking dog quest or the hangover quest in Skyrim. Those two were brilliant XD

8. WulfesHeafod

WulfesHeafod Member Member

Would you be willing to expand on that for someone who hasn't played the game? What did you like about how they integrated the questing experience? In what ways did they facilitate story fluidity in ultimately optional material?

9. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

The way that you got a lot of the side missions was by going up to a notice board where people would leave requests for various jobs. Some of these were fairly benign (Ox for sale, angry messages to thieves, etc), but several of them had notices discussing problems that the player character could solve. I liked this because it really gave the feeling of being a mercenary, someone who randomly rolls into town looking for work rather than being this big epic name hero that everyone knows somehow. That and its also far more immersive than coming across people with exclamation marks over their head. Several side quests were things that you stumbled upon, but you were given in game context about what was happening. As for the story, they just generally made sense and were well written. The characters were believable and several hunts were actually more complicated than find out what monster it is, set up your equipment then kill it; some of them had actual ramifications beyond just getting paid.

EDIT: If someone feels that they can discuss this better than me feel free, not sure I'm explaining this well enough.

Benji likes this.
  10. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

I think your description is spot-on, and I do think this would be a great way to introduce quests to the players. ESPECIALY considering how convoluted questing often is in text smut RPGs, where you unlock entire areas/questlines from romancing/sexing/talking to semi-random NPCs that don't really stand out when compared to everyone else there.

I think 60% of quests being given from notice boards and 40% from chatter and nosing around towns would be a decent number.

As per quest types that I'd enjoy:

- Quest for recieving a specific reward. Far too rarely do I go into places in hunt of a specific type of armor/a cool sword. I remember one dungeon from Skyrim I did early on that gave me a sword with a vampiric enchantement; It was awesome because I did it myself, for myself. I want more of such stuff.

- Witcher 3-style "jobs" that are relatively short but often have good storyline going in for them. Add sexing everyone involved and their sister and it's a win for me.

- Quests for specific, rare/exotic/legendary TFs.

- Quests in which the objective is to find a way to have sex with someone. Hey, remember how gameplay and story should help eachother in video games? So, why not this?

- Long, nonlinear quests that take you across many places before you reach the conclusion; They're more of an unfolding story than a simple job.

- Simple (but ambicious) jobs. Ones that don't really meander all that much storywise, but force you to overcome hard challenges. Say: Slaiy (or bed) the dragon to free (or bed) the princess. You know where the dragon is, but you need to go for a perliious treck for its lair, and once there, you need to figure out how to accomplish your goal.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Tenryuu and Benji like this.
  11. oliverjohn2030

oliverjohn2030 New Member Member

The Witcher 3 did quests seriously well in my opinion.