1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scab Thread #2: Contrafactuals

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by Dolfuss, Apr 1, 2020.

?

Mr. Gorbachev,

1. Tear Down This Wall

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Remove This Impediment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Abolish This Obstacle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Deconstruct This Barrier

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Collapse This Block

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Erase This Division

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Undo This Separation

50.0%
  8. Bridge This Divide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Heal This Rift

50.0%
  10. Mend This Gap

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

A troubled and afflicted forum looks to us, pleading for us to keep our rendezvous with destiny; that we will uphold the principles of self-reliance, self-discipline, question-answering, and, above all, responsible liberty for every individual that we will become that shining city on a hill.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE! Support the troops by watching these Educational Videos!

And look for exciting toys in your children's McDonald's® Happy Meal™!

Welcome to my second installment of questions that have nothing to do with how I framed the OP. :p Once again, they're long-form with my own musings as icebreakers—remember, each is worth 15% of your final grade!

What is your ideal way to handle a map in text adventure games?

While the basic navigation controls haven't changed much from the days of point-and-click games (cardinal directions plus special contexts), text adventures have gotten better at illustrating where the player actually is. Whereas CoC had you flying blind from zone to zone, newer games offer much friendlier orientation: real-time minimaps are now virtually ubiquitous, and even Flexible Survival has started accommodating floorplans for its more labyrinthine regions. This question can be split into two parts: the actual user interface, and how the world is laid out conceptually.

While legacy designs like FS and Fall of Eden still rely on context to site the PC, current-gen Fenworks tracks us to the immediate vicinity, organizes the zones (or planets, if you prefer) into separate charts, and even maps out interior floorplans where appropriate—less tabbing between scenes and more moving across a board. CS is looking to a similar design, as the alpha demo and late summer updates outline: a tile-based overworld broken down into point-and-click style districts and venues. Conceptually, CoC2 is kinda neat for using the old 'explore' feature to progressively open up tiles in the wilderness maps, though given the layout never changes, in practice it's blowing a turn for the sake of artificially pacing your discovery.

UI-wise, Lilith's Throne is the same tile-based navigation, recently adding an RPG Maker-esque overworld that sadly is currently just a giant teaser until the Fields finally get developed. But its coolest innovation, which was sadly scrapped once Dominion's layout was fixed and expanded, was the game's ability to generate a random map every time you started a new character, with certain tile arrangements following some common rules. It's an innovation I haven't seen anywhere else in eRPGs—CoC and FS would randomize the chance of finding key locations, but code-wise they're still all basically one step from the central hub; here the world map was (quasi)procedurally generated fresh each time.

How can werecreatures be incorporated into a game like Carnal Souls?

People have mentioned in several different threads that they'd like to see werecreatures as a dedicated transformation, myself included. But how would they actually work? Obviously they should offer something unique from regular full-body TFs lest they're rendered redundant, but beyond the shifting factor itself, there's presumably a reason the player would use two forms. In conventional games like Skyrim the statistical trade-off is strategic and obvious, and much of the appeal lies in their furry bait novelty. FS has the Wereraptor Curse that can actually take control of the PC at night, but otherwise most eRPGs I've seen handle werecreatures like any other archetypal race.

Which raises the question: if therians are made a dedicated mechanic, how do they interact with other races? In mainstream games where most races are humanoid, the anthropomorphism is the synthesis, though in Skyrim and eRPGs where every second species is furry fetish that angle's not quite up to snuff. In Skyrim and FS, the 'beast form' overrides the base race, though in games like CS I can imagine it potentially yielding unique hybrids.

And, as I've proposed before, if given a dedicated mechanic, therians can potentially be sources for extremely contagious transmission: not just defeat TFs, but even flesh wounds mid-combat potentially transferring infection.

BONUS QUEST:

Post corgi pics for Larry. :3

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Floppyantennae and daedaddy like this.
  2. WildRosey

WildRosey Active Member Member

[​IMG]

i fucking hate this country
    The wilderness feature definitely falls kinda flat once you explore. Not much difference aside from repetitive filler text.

I really like the way CoC2 does mapping. I do think that the wilderness falls a bit flat, but it would be interesting if the wilderness had some important tiles, but also randomized travel. So, there's like a snowy area or something, and that would be cool if routes were covered up by snow over time or something. At the same time, it fits the game, especially after having had time spent trying to reach important locations, that we can get a clean route. One way I would at least try to improve the wilderness without actually changing the current tile format is through a blank slate. I.e: the map is blank and while you try to explore, it's essentially a guessing game on where the important routes are.

Has Benji mentioned if there are any racial traits? i don't recall if he's stated that it's purely cosmetic or if there are gains.

A hybrid feature sounds appealing, yet I definitely wouldn't be interested. I think there would definitely have to be a lot of prep put into hybrids... Can't say I have much idea on what problems would exist, but I feel like there would be some difficulties in proper balance.

Moreso, I like your details on contagious transmission. For me, I'm very interested in the contagious transmission aspect. It would be an interesting way of introducing a questline, perhaps. There's this homebrew for D&D called the Malady's Codex, and one of the diseases is essentially a curse that changes someone into a fishperson over time. Perhaps, that leans on parasitic, but I would definitely be interested in seeing a werecurse play out like that. Moreso, I think it would be nice to have gameplay related to controlling yourself in your werecreature form. Maybe, your character would have difficulty adapting to the form and there would be unique gameplay whenever your character is in the form. Might be idealistic of me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, looking at that old thread, it's interesting that bannerlord is out now :O

hope everyone is doing good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dolfuss likes this.
  3. Dolfuss

Ooh, imagine if seasons matter and you could get stranded in certain zones because of an avalanche or the road floods out.

I don't think there's been any hard stats laid down, but the Demo implies bonuses and the Alpha (map demo) has a field for racial moves.

Game's not even out of open beta and there's already mods for gender parity. I can only imagine what'll happen once LoversLab gets its hands on it... :eek:

Floppyantennae likes this.
  4. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

thats pretty cool

thank u both for posting dog pics
    c orgis very cool very righteous

still waiting for the werebimbos
    regular human at night all powerful sex demon at night
    (or upon seeing full moon, which in this case is a peach emoji)

Dolfuss likes this.
  5. WildRosey

oooh, that would definitely be a really great inclusion

Interesante owo

:OOOOOOOOOOO I gotta give this a try!!! I love women sm <3 <3
    larry returns!!!

yo, werebimbos would be pretty cool tho, i would totally love that for a character of mine

daedaddy likes this.
  6. WildRosey

also, thanks to king dolfuss for providing these threads :cool::cool::cool:

daedaddy and Dolfuss like this.
  7. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

yes folfuss is a very cool epic gamerman

Dolfuss likes this.
  8. Dolfuss

CURSES! The Lord High Inquisitor has exposed my true identity!

Floppyantennae and daedaddy like this.