1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WRITING] The Carnal Souls CYOA Thread [NSFW]

Discussion in 'User-Submitted Works' started by Dolfuss, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Dolfuss

Dolfuss Well-Known Member Member

[discussion thread]

By request of @WildRosey we're doing it live! Since literally nothing was decided in the planning thread, the first few rounds will be to set the stage and flesh out the PC; everything else will be winging as necessary. In addition to posted options, players can opt to submit their own choices. In the event of deadlock, I reserve the right to a tiebreaker.

No fixed schedule yet, but I'm hoping turnarounds to be within a week at most.

~~~~

Consciousness creeps back in and you sigh faintly as you return to the waking world. Already the dream is fading—you were standing in a forum, listening to a wandering mystic preaching about how each must find one's own adventure. Wouldn't that be something! Oh well, you can return to idle fantasies later; another day, another

1. dollar
    2. ducat
    3. dinar
    4. dalasi
    5. doubloon
    6. dupondius
    7. đồng
    8. divination​

Sighing, you shuffle onto your back before casting back the top sheet of your

A) straw mat
    B) spartan cot
    C) cramped bunk
    D) comfy twin
    E) downy double
    F) spawling four-poster
    G) medical gurney​

as you hoist yourself up, rolling your shoulders to help kick your brain into gear. You've got a good feeling about today; whatever comes,

i. dude
    ii. girl​

you've got this!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  2. WildRosey

WildRosey Active Member Member

Hi!

I choose 8, G, and ii.

Setting a reminder to check every 12 hours lol.

3. Dolfuss

Ayy :cool:

You can give yourself another week off. I'll see if we don't pick up a few as they check in for the Status Report.

Then we'll crunch. ;)

WildRosey likes this.
  4. WildRosey

I have succeeded in checking. I will await thee crunch.

5. Dolfuss

Rosey's Wild Ride it is!

~~~~

Shuffling across the room to work out your balance, you take a sweeping glance in the light of the

1. towering windows
    2. walls of candelabra
    3. gas lamps
    4. glowing chandelier
    5. sterile fluorescent bulbs​

Some of the patients are lounging, others are still asleep; you notice three more empty beds and ponder whether you're fit for discharge. Exiting into the hall you make your way to the bathroom for early-morning business. As you clean yourself up, you use the wall mirror to do a quick inspection of your

A) emaciated
    B) boyishly petite
    C) lithe and sinewy
    D) modestly-developed
    E) gently pudgy
    F) firm and athletic
    G) cutely curvaceous
    H) solid, strong​

body and tidy up your hair. As you return to your bed, you meet Sister Miriam in the hall, matron of the wing. "Good to see you up and about!" she says, "How are you feeling today?"

i. "I'm healing up well; no more bruises!"
    ii. "Dinner stayed down; I think the poison has passed!"
    iii. "My mind is the clearest it's felt in months!"
    iv. "The voices stayed quiet; I finally got some sleep!"
    v. "Bit by bit, I'm piecing the memories back together!"
    vi. "The magic has lifted; I feel stronger than ever!"
    vii. "Like a frozen fish; no need to worry, Matron!"
    viii. "You know what they say: You only live twice!"​

6. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

1 g iv

7. WildRosey

i agree with larry lol

daedaddy likes this.
  8. Dolfuss

"I'm happy to hear it," says Sister Miriam, the tiny shift in her voice confirming she means so. "Afflictions of the mind are a challenge even to our hospice, but given the state you were in when you came to us, I daresay the worst is long behind you. Doctor Radwythe may have more details for you, but otherwise you should be ready for release."

You thank her and return to your bed to await breakfast; if you are leaving today, might as well get one last meal in! Besides which, the kitchen makes the best porridge you've ever eaten, so any excuse to linger is good enough for you. Fortunately it isn't long before Sister Roisin enters with the food trolley. Ginger bangs peek out from a loose habit, but despite her relative youth she's a seasoned nurse and nobody's fool, as more than a few unruly patients learned the hard way. "I gather you're leaving us," she lilts in an accent you still can't quite place, "But not before eating us out of house and home, of course." You grin as you accept the bowl, confirming Sister Miriam's verdict. "Well," she grins, melting into her affectionate side, "Can't say I won't miss you, even if I never met your right-of-mind."

You chuckle at the tease, devouring the hot meal as she tends to the other conscious patients. The bowl is empty before she's even finished, and she circles around to collect it before leaving, giving you a little more time to chat with your primary angel of mercy. "Anything else I can help you with?" she asks.

1. Ask about the other patients in the psych ward; someone might be good for a story.
    2. Get directions to Doctor Radwythe's office and expedite your discharge.
    3. Ask for your belongings; you'll see yourself out.
    4. Ask about her experience here.
    5. Flirt with Sister Roisin.​

daedaddy likes this.
  9. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

10. Azrin

Azrin Member Member

11. Dolfuss

Gonna go out on a limb and assume Rosey would follow suit. :p Now that we have a third player my tiebreaking won't be necessary; I've seen some threads where people will argue through the options 12 Angry Men-style, but if you want this to update faster I can call quorum with two.

~~~~

[Orientation (Female) +1] Nurses' uniforms being what they are, you don't have many clues on Sister Roisin's physique beyond a slim build and above-average height—but oh does that leave more to the imagination! Curling your legs up sideways, you strike a coquettish pose. "Do Sisters ever get assigned to personal care?" you ask faux-innocently. She cocks an eyebrow, head tilting in that questioning-motherly way. "Like, an old man alone in the mansion, slow of mind and shaky on his feet..."

"Surely his staff would see to the daily business," she replies, the corner of her mouth perking up almost imperceptibly, "If he's rich enough to live in a mansion."

Drat, she is a shrewd one. "Or what about an adventurer?" you hastily change tack, "An explorer party deep in uncharted territory would be blessed to have an experienced nurse at hand to mend a ravaged body..."

"I can imagine many men would yearn for such a caretaker," she states nonchalantly.

"Hmm, you raise a good point," you frown. "Alone with a pack of rough-and-tumble men, one would have to stay on guard at all times... it would be much more agreeable to tend to a woman, I think." Tucking in your arms, you puff out your chest. Sister Roisin's other eyebrow rises to meet its twin, and her gaze travels down your body; her face remains unreadable but you figure it's now or never. [Hard Seduction check - failed] "Did I ever mention the time I was sightseeing along the coast? There was a member of the Sisterhood, and she met an Adamite couple who—"

"—Told her to kick the habit," she finishes dryly.

"Ah, you've heard that one."

"And many others like it," she smirks. "You're hardly the first to try, and I daresay you shan't be the last. Not that I don't appreciate the effort, but pining hearts in a hospice are as water to a duck's back." She glances down to the watch on her apron. "I'm sure you'll find a lovely young woman open to courtship," she smiled softly, "Just mind she isn't also a succubus." You say your farewells and Sister Roisin departs.

At least she only bruised your ego. [Ego -1] With lunch a distant dream and nothing else to do, you hoist yourself back to your feet. The breakfast trolley has awakened a few more patients and while it's probably best to leave them be, a couple of characters stand out as enticingly odd. Otherwise, you might as well get yourself sorted for release.

1. A solemn elder has been frowning impassively at the far wall since you woke up; go see what that's about.
    2. A bright-eyed elven man has been grinning stupidly at everyone and everything around him. Find out why he's so jolly.
    3. Seek out Doctor Radwythe's office for a proper debrief.
    4. Go to ward reception and prepare for discharge.
    5. Go for a stroll through the castle and see if you can't tease out its secrets.​

Ego [7/8]
    Orientation (Female): 1
    Seduction: 0

12. Azrin

Azrin Member Member

I like the spoiler stats, it's a good way of recapping everything and will likely be needed when this chain gets longer.

It was a tough choice but I'll go for 1

13. WildRosey

I'll follow through with Azrin, #1.

14. Dolfuss

It's a trick I've seen in other threads. Some list everything upfront at the start, but since we never got anything properly fleshed out in pre-planning I'm playing it by ear and adding them as they become relevant.

~~~~

Someone that's piqued your curiosity for days is an older man seated across the room. He's been here since as long as you can remember but you don't know why; the brief conversations you've eavesdropped ended curtly, and when not otherwise active he simply sits upright, glaring straight ahead. Approaching his bed you get a proper look at him: a sallow, weathered face, blunt nose, a receding, mostly-grey hairline matched by a stubbly beard. In contrast to the hospital linens of other patients, he's clad tightly in a striped woolen nightrobe. Pillow behind his shoulders, his upper body is stock-straight, militarily rigid. Dark eyes lock onto you as his head snaps in your direction. "You there, wench," his voice is deep and commanding despite his advanced age; "Don't try to deny it," he cuts in as you start to protest, "I heard your advances upon the good Sister. Admitted for nymphomania, were you?"

From the polish of his speech and visible contempt, you gather the man to be either an aristocrat or a certain class of merchant. "Whatever your sins," he continues, "I have a task for you. You're due for discharge today, are you not?" Hesitantly you confirm as much. "I need you to send word to a servant of mine." Given he's done nothing but insult you since opening his mouth, you're not exactly champing at the bit for his favour, and you

1. politely
    2. plainly
    3. aggressively​

ask why you should play his errand-girl. "This is a matter of correcting a gross injustice!" he scowls. "I am confined here against my will by a treacherous family! No doubt they intend to abuse the estate for nefarious purposes and are poisoning the staff against me. But my servant Beatrice is unwaveringly loyal. Tell her that Lord Astley is interned here; she will understand what must be done." When you ask why he can't send a summons from the hospice himself, he scoffs: "The staff, though noble, are already deceived, and have been instructed to deny outgoing communications on my behalf. Fortunately they only believe me deluded and not dangerous, else my traitorous kin would have no doubt secured me in solitary confinement. It is a sad day indeed when a knight is no longer taken at his word... Find Beatrice, and assist her in any way she requires." [Quest Obtained: A House Divided]

Straightforward enough, you think, as he recites directions both to her own residence and the Astley Manor. [Easy Wisdom check - passed] Still, you know children are paid pennies as message-runners, and His Lordship strikes you as the sort who would be willing to reward innovative solutions. You ask whether you might smuggle him out of the castle—if his family is duplicitous enough to have him committed, who's to say they wouldn't follow up with a more direct means of getting him out of the way? "That is a most dishonourable charge," he scowls, "But given the company my children now keep, I regretfully cannot dismiss the possibility. Nonetheless, circumstance anchors me here: I was admitted with no more than the clothing on my back, and I should look a right fool to be gallivanting amid the public so naked. Nor," he gives you a pointed look, "Could I condemn the hospitality of this house by beseeching you misappropriate the garments of a fellow patient." You think his resistance is a show of pride and he wouldn't really oppose if pressed, but he clearly wouldn't be happy about it.

You also consider that one servant, however loyal, isn't exactly a compelling defence for a senior charged with dementia. Presenting the authorities with hard evidence of malfeasance would not only secure his release, but uphold his gentlemanly honour. "Fancy yourself a detective?" he smirks bemusedly, "I would have much preferred to keep this debacle within the household, but my present condition demonstrates such is no longer feasible. I am not entirely certain of their intentions myself; even if I were released forthwith, I fear they may have further schemes to circumvent my authority. If I must act decisively, it is best done with the full weight of the law at my side. One supposes," he sighs, "That one might see fit to compensate such a bold show of initiative... provided the returns prove commendable."

Lord Astley glances to the doorway as footsteps echo in the hall. "Now, go to," he waves you off, resuming his staring contest with the wall, "Lest the nurses catch wind and act to dissuade you." Determining that he will brook no tarrying, you exit into the hall, thinking how

A) the aristocrats always manipulate the lower class to do their bidding
    B) bloody nobles never recognize each other without their lavish attire
    C) you've dreamed of wielding that sort of power
    D) you've fantasized about being under the thrall of such a silver fox​

as you consider how to proceed.

i. Go find Doctor Radwythe; he may be able to share more about exactly why His Lordship was committed.
    ii. Ask reception about where your belongings are stored; you may have opportunity to procure suitable clothes for Lord Astley.
    iii. Go snooping through the castle; you may find something useful.​

Ego [7/8]
    Wisdom: 0
    A House Divided
    Among the psych patients is one Lord Astley, who claims to have been committed against his will so the family can seize his estate. He has requested you find his servant Beatrice, the only remaining member of the domestic staff he believes can secure his release.
    • You have directions to Beatrice's home and the Astley estate.
    • You may be able to sneak His Lordship out of the hospice, but he won't be enthused by the methods.
    • Lord Astley has hinted he will provide a reward for exposing the family's conspiracy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  15. WildRosey

Votesss:
    3, A, iii

16. Dolfuss

[Lord Astley's Attitude -10], [Etiquette -1], [Affinity (Nobility) -5]

Mustering as much false purpose as you can in the hope of deflecting inquisitive orderlies, you march off down the hallway in largely-aimless exploration. Prior to its rededication as a medical sanctuary, the building was the keep of what in its day was likely a formidable fortress; arrow slits were expanded into towering windows more befitting a cathedral, the interior extensively retrofitted for climate control and modern amenities. Situated on a rocky plateau, the hospice acts as a beacon against the horizon; while the upper-storey battlements are off-limits for safety concerns, the outer walls were demolished and even the lower levels offer a commanding view of the

1. temperate, rolling hills
    2. sun-baked badlands
    3. sparkling, snow-dusted woodland
    4. glimmering jungle canopy
    5. misty marshland
    6. sweeping plains
    7. glittering sandy shoreline​

beyond the outcropping. A winding road leads down to the nearby

A) gilded capital
    B) bustling port city
    C) ramshackle trading post
    D) humble subsistence village
    E) rough-and-tumble mining town
    F) sprawling factory city
    G) fortified outpost
    H) tidy university town​

and the iconic architecture of its

i. wattle-and-daub townhouses
    ii. newfangled brick abodes
    iii. flat-roofed adobe compounds
    iv. stocky wooden cabins
    v. thatched stone hovels
    vi. gabled pagodas
    vii. stilted tide-proof huts
    viii. bright white buildings and clay-tiled roofs​

that you

a) have known all your life
    b) hope offers better prospects than your home town
    c) never thought you'd get to see in person​

Peeking into rooms, you find most of them either patient quarters or occupied by staff, although you notice what looks like a records room only intermittently attended. Winding through other wards, you observe that while hospice workers are almost entirely human, a fair number of patients aren't just humanoid but full beastfolk—as one seemingly-healthy physio patient is loudly complaining about to a more-than-patient nurse. Weaving through one congested corridor, you find a deserted turret and slink down the spiral stairs into what was once the castle dungeons, now repurposed for miscellaneous storage and maintenance functions. Using the alcoves for cover from passing porters, you stumble upon a chamber labelled "Lost and Found", stocked with various items misplaced by past (and possibly present) inpatients.

Just as you're about to enter for a closer look, you hear a raised voice from down the hall, followed a moment later by a metallic thud and a dull crumpling. Seems you're not the only mischief-maker in the catacombs—better figure out your next steps quickly!

I. Scamper back upstairs and revisit the records room for a self-diagnosis.
    II. Hide out in the lost-and-found room until the coast is clear. You may even be able to slap together an outfit for His Lordship.
    III. Danger is your middle name! Investigate the commotion.​

Ego [7/8]
    Affinity (Nobility): -5
    Etiquette: -1
    Lord Astley
    An old, and old-fashioned nobleman you met in the psych ward. Though hardly a gallant knight, he remains committed to honourable conduct.
    Attitude: -10
    A House Divided
    Among the psych patients is one Lord Astley, who claims to have been committed against his will so the family can seize his estate. He has requested you find his servant Beatrice, the only remaining member of the domestic staff he believes can secure his release.
    • You may be able to sneak His Lordship out of the hospice, but he won't be enthused by the methods.
    • Lord Astley has hinted he will provide a reward for exposing the family's conspiracy.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  17. WildRosey

snow time owo
    3,F,iii,b!

III!

18. Azrin

Azrin Member Member

3,H,viii,a,I

19. Dolfuss

Drat, I never thought through how to tie-break a multiple-answer update. :confused: I'll mix-and-match location details this time to spice it up, but as seen with Lord Astley, character interactions can have important knock-on effects, so if you'd prefer I chain-link connected choices going forward, let me know.

PS: Gad dang it, where are you, Larry? I know you're alive because you still log in to LoversLab. :rolleyes:

~~~~

The nearby settlement is a snow-dusted, tidy university town of flat-roofed adobe compounds where you have lived all your life. You decide to investigate the noise.

Felicidal curiosity getting the better of you, you slink further down the corridor, debating whether to stick to the close wall or keep your distance, ultimately deciding it's safer to avoid blind corners. Besides the shuffling of your slippers and breezy echo of the deeper passages, you can't make out anything discrete. Rounding the doorway you find an orderly face-down, head toward the hall; it's dark inside but the glint of a metal tray draws your attention to a figure further in. Gasping, it raises the tray with both hands—apparently having bludgeoned the man in the back of his head. "I'm not going back!" a high, feminine voice trembles.

You raise your hands defensively, explaining you're just a patient, tugging at your gown to confirm it. The figure hesitantly lowers her makeshift weapon, shoulders shaking as the adrenaline wears off. "Oh Gods," she gasps, registering the fallen orderly, "Is he..?"

Keeping the stranger in your field of view, you step forward into the doorway, squatting to check his vitals. He's a pretty burly specimen, neck thickened with muscle, and you struggle to find a pulse. [Easy Medicine check - passed] His breathing is faint but rhythmic, and the artery—once you find it—is beating steadily. You don't want to mess around in case something is injured, but from your limited vantage there isn't any visible bleeding. He's only knocked out, you report. The figure sighs in relief, the tray falling to the ground with a wince-inducing clang. Eyes adjusting to the gloom, as you pick yourself up you're able to get a better look at the assailant: like you, she's clad in a stock linen gown reaching past her knees, but even shrouded by the folds her body looks so lean she could be mistaken for a child. Her face, while maturely-proportioned, is remarkably cute, with large almond eyes, a slender button nose, and a plump, slightly protruding upper lip. Wilted black hair has been cropped short, curling in just a little below her rounded jawline. Her brown skin marks her as a local, yet reflects a bronzed sheen along the outer contours as if oiled.

"I d-didn't..." she stammers, "I just—He was gonna take me back and I panicked—" You tell her to slow down and collect herself, and explain from the beginning. Gripping her left arm, she takes a steadying breath before meeting your gaze. "My wicked stepmother sent me here. Told them I'm a demon and need to be purified."

It's then you notice her eyes: bright amethyst irises glimmer in the light from the hall. And is she? you ask playfully, partly to lighten the mood and partly out of subconscious suspicion. "No!" she frowns indignantly; averting your gaze, she mutters "Not really..." Silence lingering uncomfortably, she does her best to size herself up. "Look, I'm naturally warmer than other people, but it looks the same as libidinal taint to their diagnostics, so they put me in isolation under the sort of stuff they'd use for exorcism, and it... doesn't react well."

You note her frail appearance. Does she mean it's killing her? "No, no, thank the Gods no," she breathes. "It's like if you're having hayfever and someone's blowing pollen straight in your face. I can endure it, but... Gods it feels like so long..." She turns her head away, sniffling as her body starts trembling again. You're still not clear on her story, but she's obviously in distress, and you

1. prudently keep your distance
    2. tactfully give her shoulder a squeeze
    3. gently pull her into a hug​

as you try to console the poor girl. "I'm not going back," she croaks, "She can't lock me up like this!"

Two for two now, it seems the hospice is being appropriated as a prison. Sister Roisin's warning echoes in your ear, but you would think a real succubus would have overpowered the orderly through far less violent methods. You debate whether it's worth getting involved: you doubt you'll be able to spring both her and His Lordship before you're finally rounded up for discharge, but her predicament seems much more urgent. The question is, what's the best way to help?

A) Best not dig the hole deeper. Lobby the hospice staff on her behalf for a formal discharge.
    B) Raid the Lost and Found for a costume to smuggle her out.
    C) Tell her to stay hidden while you figure out a cunning plan.
    D) Her story's a tearjerker, but ultimately not your problem. Point her to the Lost and Found and exfiltrate the basement.
    E) Yeah, she's sensitive to demonic wards and already assaulted one person. Make your excuses and track down security.​

Ego [7/8]
    Affinity (Nobility): -5
    Etiquette: -1
    Medicine: 0
    Lord Astley
    An old, and old-fashioned nobleman you met in the psych ward. Though hardly a gallant knight, he remains committed to honourable conduct.
    Attitude: -10
    A House Divided

20. WildRosey

3,B

intewesting