1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Thread of Random Crap

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by DevilBone, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Patrick R. Key

Patrick R. Key Active Member Member

I started with 3, and to be honest, I don't think I would have enjoyed SotFS as much without having played 3 beforehand. I still think I would have stuck with it, I just found 3 to have been a much more enjoyable play through. But those are the only ones I have played, so this is just the opinion of someone who's new to the series.

If you want to look up guides for advise, why care about what other people have to say about it?

2. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Have you seen what some of this game's fans are like? What if a guide isn't enough, and I actually have to go and ask one of these lunatics?

3. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

I guess I'll put Dark Souls 3 on my wishlist, then.

4. Patrick R. Key

Patrick R. Key Active Member Member

If they make a big deal out of it, fuck em.

NizzJipple likes this.
  5. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

I played Dark Souls 1, didn't get far, ragequit (yeah yeah, I'm weak, idgaf). But then I got Bloodborne when it came out later. I'm so much better at Bloodborne than Dark Souls, and I have no idea why. Blade-whip is prolly why though, that and my dapperhat. Respect teh dapperhat. I will now attempt to shift this threads Dark Soul discussion, using my powers:
    Is ANYONE besides me excited for God Eater 2? Like anyone?

6. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

After a brief sojourn to the Google, nah, I don't think I'm all that interested. Sorry, friend. JRPG's have never really been my thing. I just find it hard to get into them.

7. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

but its not a standard JRPG, its a monster hunter that doesn't exist solely on handheld AND you get to eat everything you kill. with your weapon.
    plus the story is actually really good. Seriously, Toukiden got its squad based combat from this game.

8. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

Honestly the vast majority of DS fans seem to be quite fun people. They're harmless dorks. Sometimes a bit arrogant, but that's it.

Compare with Call of Duty fans which are total haters and Elite fans which are 50-year old "WHENIPLAYEDGAMESATYOURAGEWEDIDN'THAVEANYGAMESSOBEGRATEFULFORWHAT'SHERESONTHEGAME'SPERFECTUCKOFFKID"-type of guys.

Maybe because Bloodborne was designed with a more agressive playstyle in mind. You're allowed to take some damage as long as you take that damage back. In total it's a bit more "button-mash" friendly I presume, I guess it plays a little more straightforward.

9. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Monster Hunter Tri was a Wii game, and Ultimate is on the Wii U. As a PC gamer, I'd consider Toukiden if it wasn't locked at 30 fps.

I suppose I should be glad that they're not like MOBA players.

10. Godwin

D:

Muh heart. Muh crushed, League playing heart.

11. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

I'm sorry, I should have phrased that better.

12. Godwin

Nah, no biggie. I know the stereotypical MOBA player. I've played with them before, numerous times. Personally, I think the extent of toxicity is over exaggerated by a large margin, but it definitely is present.

13. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

I remember the community from my time in Dota 2.

Yeah. Privyet. Now I have 'Nam-style flashbacks from that game.

---

Offtop: Have some good nighttime tunes.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  14. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Changing the subject somewhat, has anyone been playing DOOM (2016) lately? I've been having fun with making my own levels in SnapMap. So far, I've only published one: a solo-focused level I named Disposal (Map ID: ARN7NJEK). I'm now working on my second, and I'm open to any feedback on Disposal that I can incorporate into this new one.

15. Godwin

Welp, I had both time and DOOM for the xbox one, so I gave it a shot.

General assessment: It's pretty alright.

For most of the mission I had the impression that it was all very easy. The abundance of armor meant I was never in any real danger, and I pretty much destroyed everyone's face every chance I had so health wasn't an issue, which you provided plenty of regardless. The only real challenge was the big furnace looking room with that red thing I needed to collect, which had an ass load of those big dudes and rocket bros. That was scary, and I pretty much ran around in a circuit five times before my rockets turned them all into bits. And then those fucking floating heads spawned, glomped me and annihilated me twice, the second time immediately upon spawn before I had a chance to react. I may just suck at killing those guys (I've only played maybe one third of the campaign and have never faced them before) but they're really oppressive in that tiny room. They don't chill in the air, they get right in your face and fire that death ball point blank.

Of course, I wasn't able to continue after that. The second time I respawned it put me outside that room for some reason, and I couldn't open that door to resume because it said I was still in combat and needed to kill the demons to open the door. Problem being the demons were behind that door, so I could essentially never get in again. It was weird.

On your level design, it's simple, but that isn't a bad thing. Especially considering it was your first map. I think you could work on your clutter though. It felt pretty empty. Adding assets as obstacles and all around useless junk would go a long way in making your maps feel more lived in and dynamic.

Overall, I had fun. That game breaking spawn was kind of a bummer, but I figure I was close to the end anyway. Good job dude!

16. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Thanks so much! It's great to hear that I didn't wind up making a load of utter dreck. I deliberately kept the amount of clutter to a minimum, especially in combat rooms. It could be partially due to my own habit of backing into terrain in first-person games, but I felt that keeping areas open would result in a better play experience. Plus, SnapMap is rife with maps that try to jam enemies that are too large and/or too numerous into too small a space.

On a similar note, I just finished and published my second map, Sprawl (Map ID: JAVFZ9F7). I eschewed Disposal's more linear design in favor of a massive, open-ended structure. The amount of clutter is still a bit sparse, but I have an excuse this time in that I ended up pushing the object limits farther than I intended to.

One again, the map is littered with various weapons, and I've incorporated the weapon wheel function to allow the player to carry all of them. I understand if the fights might come across as a bit easy this time, as well. The possibility of passing up hidden weapons, in combination with being able to explore most of the map from the get-go, meant that I wanted to accommodate players who may only be packing a limited arsenal. Also, you only get one life on this one. Anyway, feel free to try it out.

17. Nechrom

Nechrom Well-Known Member Member

Map making in first person shooters... That brings me back to when that was a thing I did.
    Started in Duke Nukem 3D and continued with other "Build"-engine games (Blood, Shadow Warrior etc) then moved on to Quake where also did some maps for mods (Air Quake). Never really made anything for regular Quake II, but when Half-life got released I started again.

As for the new DOOM I've mostly lost interest in random shooters with the exception of Serious Sam which I'd probably play if it got another sequel. Today's shooters have to do more to get me interested, like Deus Ex for example or the surprisingly good gun-play in Fallout 4.

18. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

What do you mean by "random shooters?" Also, having played and enjoyed Serious Sam 3 and the new Shadow Warrior, I honestly think that the new DOOM is one of the best shooters I've ever played. And I'm the guy who didn't like Half-Life or Painkiller.

19. Nechrom

Nechrom Well-Known Member Member

I guess I'm referring to games which focuses on the shooting and action above all else. Very few games manage to keep both action and narrative balanced if they don't also have other major game mechanics to dilute the basic shooting.
    I've heard good things about the latest Wolfenstein game, but I'm not sure I'll really enjoy a linear game like that again.

Well I did enjoy Half-life. Honestly though, no matter how much I enjoyed it back in the day, I don't think it remains my kind of game today.
    I think Deus Ex was the perfect experience for me. It's about as open ended as it can be while still keeping the story linear.
    But the shooters I still come back to are the truly open ones like Fallout New Vegas. Fallout 4 was good, but hardly an overall improvement since Bethesda severely limited the RPG elements but on the other hand improved the shooting.

In the end I can only look back on shooters in general with nostalgia, because now there are so few I can enjoy.

20. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

Agreed. That was the BIGGEST letdown of FO4, was that you had a predefined character for you. FO3? Young punk making his/her way through the wasteland and discovering what kind of person he/she was. FO:NV? A courier with a mysterious past and a headwound rediscovering themselves as they tour the mojave in search of their parcel/revenge. FO4? A former army vet/lawyer with a child and a dead spouse. Sure you could face things in a nice/mean way, but without the Karma setting i was expecting, it didnt feel like it mattered much.