1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Thread of Random Crap

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by DevilBone, Apr 7, 2016.

1. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Wolfenstein: The New Order left me feeling kind of lukewarm, despite what I'd heard about it and not being able to pin down exactly what I didn't like about it. It could have something to do with the excessively monochrome gray/brown aesthetic, which I tend to heavily dislike (with exceptions like Limbo, of course).

If I were to give you a shortened recommendation of the new DOOM, it'd probably go something like this. On top of having utterly incredible old-school gunplay, DOOM makes the most of it by ensuring a controlled sense of pacing, with large, exploratory levels keeping things calm between fights. Furthermore, should you choose to look for it, there's actually a rather well-crafted story to be found here. The collectible data logs are interesting and well-written, dialogue from NPC's is meaningful but never outstays its welcome, and Doomguy manages to be a silent protagonist with infinitely more personality than many non-silent protagonists.

2. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

So, Dark Souls 3 was on sale recently, and I decided to give it a shot. After all, as long as my total playtime was under two hours, I could request a refund from Steam. Just played it a bit, and my feelings about it are...not what I expected.

Do I have permission to speak freely about this? Or is this stepping on too many toes?

3. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

It's okay to dislike Dark Souls. No one will hate you.

It's like being tone-deaf, color-blind and left handed. No one will judge you.

No, seriously: It's a love it or hate it game, no need to be shy about disliking it. Still, I was confused and dissapointed up to 5 or 10 hours into Dark Souls 1, and yet I fell in love with the game.

I absolutely adore The New Order, it's one of the best games I played in my life. It had excellent gunplay, one of the best and most emotional stories in gaming history, great presentation and a wonderful soundtrack. I also loved how well it mixed old-school and new-school of shooter design. No to mention organicaly inserting stealth into the equation.

The aesthetic: I think the look of the game was spot-on, it's one of the best designed games I played. And it got a monochrome gray/brown colour palette in days in which every single game wants to go over the top with colours and cartoon stylizations. Colors aside, the way the world was designed (the architecture, the enemies, the environments) was astonishing. It gave the game a really crushing and dark atmosphere. It's probably one of the "heaviest" games I played (apart from the Metro series, probably, and the first Fallout games).

I know I am in an absolute minority, but I did NOT love the new Doom. I'm lazy so I'll just repost a comment I wrote about Doom a while back. To quote myself:

In fact I had quite a few more gripes with Doom, but I just didn't mention them here (pacing, underpresented story, level design). Still, this is my general opinion of the game. It's OK, but has issues.

When they added in the middle-of-the-screen style gun position I turned the game on to try it out. Loaded some mid-game level. Looked cool, played for like 5 or 10 minutes, and then, despite not playing the game for two months prior, I got almost instantly bored and turned it off.

Everyone keeps on telling me how "obviously I am not a fan of this type of shooter". Here's the deal: I was raised on those shooters, I can boot up Quake 1&2 or Doom 1 anytime and have fun with them because I love this type of gameplay. Thing is, in my opinion, Doom 4 is not a good example of a pseudo-oldschool shooter.

4. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Thanks, Farlun. Yes, I disliked Dark Souls 3. Why I disliked it was what I wasn't expecting. Despite having died several times to the first boss before quitting, it wasn't due to frustration. The fact that the game would repeatedly kill me (and take its sweet time doing so, with its drawn-out death animations and big red letters stating the obvious) was something I had mentally prepared myself for prior to booting it up. Losing my accumulated souls upon death had nothing to do with it, either. Again, that was aware of in advance. Not even being forced to navigate the menus using the D-pad (on an Xbox 360 controller, mind you) with no option to change it was a significant contributing factor.

No, the reason I refunded the game was because, after playing for about an hour, I was bored. Hence, why I felt the need to ask permission before stating my feelings. It's just that, given Steam's refund policy, I was presented with a choice. Do I truly want to continue investing time into this game in the hopes of it eventually being worth my time and money? Is getting my forty dollars back worth missing out on something I might end up adoring? Well, Steam tells me that my current play time is 69 minutes, and I already want to stop and play something else. That's my answer right there.

I'm sorry, but I just found nothing within that first hour to be compelling enough to warrant throwing myself at that first boss for the umpteenth time. Sure, Iudex Gundyr was an awesome, well-designed boss. After fighting him five or six times, however, he had already outstayed his welcome. I didn't want to keep fighting him, I wanted to move on to something else.

Not helping things was the need to fight through the same handful of weak foes each time I went to have another go at Gundyr. What benefit is there to making me fight them again? I already know how to beat them; no longer do they pose any kind of threat. It just wastes my time and pushes to the back of my mind anything that I might have learned from my last death against Gundyr. Is it to have me unintentionally grind souls, assuming I dutifully retrieve the souls I dropped on my previous death? If that's the intent, then all it's really doing is devaluing those souls. Why should I care about losing them when I don't even know what they do yet? Even if I did, it's been made clear that I can easily grind souls on my own if I wanted to.

***Undertale spoilers ahead***
    Come to think of it, the fight against Sans in Undertale is, among other things, a massive send-up of ludicrously hard video game bosses that require innumerable attempts to overcome. His attacks are deliberately designed to be nigh impossible to avoid unscathed without having experienced them before. His dialogue bluntly mocks the player's determination to keep trying, despite there being no benefit to winning and how much easier it is to just quit and do something else. Furthermore, his nonchalant demeanor and rock-bottom stats mockingly imply that Sans shouldn't even be able to give the player this much trouble. To top it all off, it isn't even the player who deals the killing blow, but Chara acting independently of the player's will.

It's not like there's a shortage of games that are strenuously hard but also fun. There are also plenty of games that are compelling without needing to be explicitly about fun. What matters is whether or not the player wants to move forward with the experience. This is where Dark Souls 3 failed for me; I didn't want to continue.

Godwin likes this.
  5. Patrick R. Key

Patrick R. Key Active Member Member

How dare you have your own opinions! It's 2016!

6. EvilMegaCookie

EvilMegaCookie New Member Member

Saw some people sharing music so I figured why not? Somewhat curious what genre this is:

Kinda want to make a thread for just sharing music but since there isn't any off-topic section, this will do I guess. :p

7. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

I don't know what genre that is, but it certainly sounds like a lot of the stuff from those classic RPGs, the stuff you see coming out of RPG maker all the time. Final Fantasy and old Zelda. A lot of orchestral stuff that sounds pretty synthetic.

I think that'd be pretty cool. Music is awesome. All I'd really add are a bunch of electronic stuff with a mix of rock and epic orchestral stuff tho.

8. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

=P all i would add is some soundtracks from the games i play. I REALLY dont like the direction our mainstream music has turned and im too lazy to go loking for underground stuff (sometimes i find it by accident though...no idea how that works.)
    ...how do i share music? like what you guys did? small words and step by step instructions. i suck at computers

9. Farlun

That's not how you Dies Irae.

THIS is how you Dies Irae!

Currently I'm listening to this album, it's damn good dark urban electronic stuff: http://neolunar.bandcamp.com/releases

And the new album from Current 93's David Tibet and Killing Joke's Youth, Hypnopazuzu. Awesome, transcendental stuff. If, of course, you enjoy music that's experimental, unconventional and, sometimes, just plain weird:

EvilMegaCookie likes this.
  10. EvilMegaCookie

Whoa. Lies Irae was pretty freakin' awesome. And to be fair, Dies Irae is the name of the VN, not the soundtrack. Einherjar Nigredo is the name of that particular theme though.

The last one definitely has the beginning of Dies Irae in it. And yes, I am on a VN spree. And here is another one, from Senshinkan:

Press the Media button and copy whatever video with music you have into it. As long as it has a link, Youtube being preferable. If you don't know how to copy, let me show you:

You know the adress bar at the top? Press it and check so that everything is highlighted. Then press CTRL and after that C while holding the CTRL button. This copies that link. Then press CTRL + V once you have pressed Media. That should paste the link into it.

Edit: Just fixed some stuff. Just like how you hold CTRL while copying something, you do it when wanting to paste the text or whatever.

11. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

Like this?

Edit: Ecroose has unlocked new Skill:Music Sharing

nothing can stop me now

12. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

:O

Somebody stop him, he's a madman!

Also, I actually ended up buying that game. Haven't played much of it, but I thought it looked pretty interesting and I remembered you recommended it. Seems alright so far, but I can say that game has some damn fine music in it.

That Neolunar album is the kind of music I've been searching for recently. Darker, warmer, downtempo stuff. Kinda sad and melancholy. Like a rainy day. (The best kind of day). Also, that Hypnopazuzu song is really good. Not something I've ever heard the like of, but really good all the same.

I've been listening to some Les Friction myself.

13. EvilMegaCookie

Here is my last add before I go to sleep. Felt like sharing some really bombastic stuff:

14. Ecroose

Ecroose Member Member

so i somehow found this webcomic that is HI-LA-RI-OUS and i felt the need to tell somebody about it. [​IMG]
    =3 the site is called bearnutscomic.com so go there and read this. its good i promise

15. Nechrom

Nechrom Well-Known Member Member

I'm just going to kill the whole music sharing thread you got going here by, I guess for most of you, reminding you about one of the best songs of all time. It remains one of the few 10min or above songs that I'll just sit and listen to, doing nothing else, every single time I hear it.
    No further introduction needed. Take it away Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore:

16. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

I've heard better :)

Seriously though, that is a damn good song. HOWEVER, I resist your attempts to kill this thread by sharing someone that I recently discovered:

Also his music videos are damn sweet

(Just a reminder that this need not be a thread all about music, all crap is welcome. Don't take that literally)

Farlun likes this.
  17. Farlun

Proper post coming tomorrow but oh yes does Carpenter Brut rock (It's a full band afaik). Turbo Killer is basicaly synthwave distilled into a 4 minute music video.

Perturbator and Carpenter Brut are both the kings of synthwave.

Yeah, Perturbator. Put on your shades, ignite the engines and ride off into the night, night driving avengers!

18. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

It feels almost appropriate that I started playing Mad Max recently

19. EvilMegaCookie

Began listening to this group recently:

Prodigy's World and The Consultation are awesome. The Visitation is just feels. All the feels.

Farlun likes this.
  20. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

The one made by Avalanche? I played that a while back. Despite the critical reception, I had a good time with it. I only wish that convoys could respawn after beating them; given how much fun they were to take on, it's a shame that I can't go back and do it again with my upgraded vehicle.

Farlun likes this.