1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Thread of Random Crap

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by DevilBone, Apr 7, 2016.

1. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

yeah, its actually a really solid game, I don't understand why it was received so poorly. Steam reviews are way more positive though, which is what convinced me to try it out.
    Also, real quick, I have rediscovered the best gif of all time.
    Behold, and weep with glory:

https://i.imgur.com/w7FzhbE.gifv

Tenryuu and Farlun like this.
  2. Farlun

Farlun Well-Known Member Member

I heard that complain a lot, about those convoys.

I also heard favourable things, and I think the game was simply buried by being an open-world game in the age of open-world games. Had it come out in different circumstances (when not, as Jahtzee stated, open-world is the "default game"), it probably would gather a lot more attention than it did.

Played it for a little, and I liked what I saw, but the problem is that I am bored with open world games in general, and playing another one of those seemed like a chore that made me feel more bored by Mad Max than I actualy was.

This, indeed, is the gif to end all gifs. Guard it well, for it is sacred.

3. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

I've thought about this a bit, and I think I have a good idea why games like Mad Max and Just Cause 3 were received the way they were. It's not unusual to hear the word "sandbox" get erroneously thrown around to refer to open-world games in general. A sandbox game is about giving the players a set of mechanics and an environment in which to screw around and make their own fun organically rather than through hand-crafted experiences. The Witcher III, for example, is an open-world RPG full of scripted events (albeit good ones), not a sandbox. By contrast, Just Cause 3 focuses entirely on providing an inherently fun set of core mechanics that allow players to freely improvise their own ways of tackling objectives. The difference comes down to the experience being delivered by the game versus being created by the player.

I imagine that, for people who play and critique games for a living, there's a tendency to prefer games that deliver hand-crafted experiences over those that expect players to create their own fun. Although I do agree with the notion that Mad Max is essentially just a big, open map with only a handful of copy-pasted activities sprinkled across it, I still enjoyed it because I felt like I was doing what I wanted, when I wanted, how I wanted--in between just screwing around for the fun of it. It seems to me that most game critics simply play too many different games on a regular basis to have the time or patience to spend screwing around aimlessly in any particular one.

I'm going to cheat a bit an draw on the help of Extra Credits again. Skip to 4:56 in the following video:

4. Farlun

Not a fan of the video. I'm actualy into theoretical game design quite a lot and I think that he just uses the term "open world" incorrectly, his logic is bad and assumes technical limitations are equal to design decisions, or that there is no theming in TES while there is a ton of it. The very difference between those two "types" or open world are veeeeery disputable. I disagree so much with this video that I am unsure where to start.

I think that, regardless wether they are sandbox or narrative-driven, open world games are overdone right now. Even games that have a lot of care and love put into them (like Mad Max) come off as so generic that you can't feel engaged even if it's a good one - Simply because you played so many simillar games before. All of those games having an extremely similar structure and created in such a way that this structure becomes visible up-front doesn't help, either. Say what you want about military shooters, but being narrative driven, they at least had a unique sense of spectacle and storytelling that made each one somehow seperate, while almost all of the open world games boil down to travelling from one marker on the map to the next.

Onto something completely different...

Have some awesome doom metal. I love the dark and fatalistic nature of this music. It becomes especialy awesome when it's a bleak fantasy setting in which the main hero is cursed by a powerful wizard to a life of misery.

5. Idanis

Idanis New Member Member

I just wanted to share this with all of you because it made me laugh

[​IMG]

Farlun likes this.
  6. Godwin

Godwin Active Member Member

7. Farlun

I died while listening to that xDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Godwin likes this.
  8. Godwin

I thought it was very topical ;)

I find the fact that this exists at all to be hilarious. It's pretty good too, which is awesome.

9. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

Was going to post this in the "Feature/Kink Suggestion" thread, and see if people were keen to the idea of creating there own sexualized zambambo thing, but thought against it. :p Game: Disgaea 1

Never let your guard down...

10. FlenderSolas

FlenderSolas Active Member Member

Of course giant horse wieners are dangerous on their own, mouth-wateringly sexy but dangerous regardless.

But on a damn zambamie that is faster than a coked up cheetah on fire, stronk like a jackass Greek God, hits super hard that it rivals an equivalent of a MASSIVE FRIEGHT TRAIN. THAT IS FUCKIN' ON FIRE AND GOING AT MACH-1 SPEED and could possibly have a really, really, REALLY high sex drive?!

Oh, boy, better fuckin' pray to yer chosen deities 'cause it's not goin' ta be yer average zambambo battle...

IT'S YOUR ADVANCED ZAMBAMBO BOSS BATTLE HORSE DICKING TIME!!!

MAY THE GODS HAVE MERCY ON THINE SOULS...

Never let your guard down...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    RevorDragon and NizzJipple like this.
  11. EvilMegaCookie

EvilMegaCookie New Member Member

The dub was more dangerous than the wiener.

BlakLite likes this.
  12. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

Here, have some... Electronic? Dance? Dare I say, electronic-dance?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    Godwin and DevilBone like this.
  13. DevilBone

Um, its drum and bass. Duh.
    Don't know too much about horse cocks though.
    I pray that I never do

NizzJipple likes this.
  14. Farlun

Not sure if anyone here is into goth and goth electronica stuff, but I just discovered this albums and IT IS SO DAMN GOOD.

https://play.spotify.com/album/0uEnq0JQlbkZ4dehnflEjr

Oh no, to paste it here I opened spotify in the browser and started listening... Must... Resist.... It's... 4... A... M.....

.... always driving into tunnels looking for the heaaart of daarkness... Always peering through the forest headlights burning liike a promise...! *Sings along*

RevorDragon likes this.
  15. Godwin

So, I just listened to that whole album. I can honestly say I haven't heard anything like it. I think that's a good thing. I'll have to get back to you on that.

It certainly makes for good background sound though. Very steady.

Plus, the cover art is gorgeous.

Farlun likes this.
  16. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

off topic but the new bonobo album was fire

17. Farlun

Feel the groove!

18. BlakLite

BlakLite Member Member

Here's a fun little gem that I recently discovered.

RevorDragon, Atomicbob and Benji like this.
  19. Benji

Benji Director Staff Artist Writer

Animated/directed by Juanjo Guarnido, artist behind the Blacksad graphic novels. Dude is one of my heroes. It's a sweet-ass song, too.

RevorDragon, Atomicbob and DevilBone like this.
  20. DevilBone

And now I have something new to read.

RevorDragon and Benji like this.