1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Carnal Souls have Familiars?

Discussion in 'General Carnal Souls Discussion' started by Atomicbob, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

Will Carnal Souls have familiars that can accompany the player character? For those of you who may not know what a familiar is, its basically a magical animal that binds itself to a spell caster in order to boost their magical potential (if you're going off of D&D rules, anyway).
    Come to think of it, I don't know if regular followers will be a thing in this game...

Regardless, I think that familiars could benefit players by helping them in combat, and maybe even out of combat by helping you with skill checks. Familiars could come in a variety of shapes and sizes; from house cats and birds to more exotic creatures like fairy dragons and imps.
    And, if you're into that kind of thing, familiars might even be able to assist the player character in matters of the erotic variety.

I dunno, just an idea that I wanted to post and see if anybody liked it.

2. NizzJipple

NizzJipple Well-Known Member Member

Just wanted to point out that familiars don't have to be animals. If you wanted, they can be a variety of demons, spirits, animals-like beings.

As for the whole follower angle, I don't think Benji planned for followers or party members of any kind. But that doesn't mean we can't have said familiars following us around outside of combat. To take a nod from Nioh, you could benefit from passive buffs depending on what kind of critter you have tagging along.

To go even further: how about having to follow a set of ideals that the familiars impose on you. I.E, you have a spider familiar that embodies the concept of sadism, making it so when you act out your lusts in a particularly sadistic manner, you obtain some small reward, or perhaps timed buff?

Sexy time with familiars? Well, there's nothing stopping Benji from bestowing the sweet, succulent concept of transforming familiars. A spider can take the from of a Drider, and a cat can take the form of, you guessed it, a cat-girl spirit amalgamation thing.

So yes, I would adore this possibly implementation ...so long as the spirits themselves weren't handed to me on a silver platter - make me work for it! Or, at the very least, impose some soft of sexual prerequisite like you have to have the butt sex a least once every few days with a male partner to reap the rewards. In fact, male homosexual P.C's kind of get the shaft in terms of content, so having a really good familiar that benefits from the butt sex would be a neat little caveat for one of the stronger spirits. (Dat sentence though.)

OR, how about a spirit exp gauge that, when filled by complete certain criteria, grants you one unknown spirit related to that criteria. That might keep players interested in sexual acts they might not otherwise end up going for, and retain surprise.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. daedaddy

daedaddy Well-Known Member Member

I would love a follower or pet, adventure games always feel lonely to me

RevorDragon, Atomicbob and Ritzy like this.
  4. DevilBone

DevilBone Active Member Member

I like this idea. Hopefully this wouldn't be restricted behind having magical prowess, though. It would make SENSE, but more content is good content I say. Perhaps they could be collectables that you find in game :p

RevorDragon and Atomicbob like this.
  5. Atomicbob

Atomicbob Well-Known Member Member

I love all the weird and wacky familiars that D&D has. I recently learned that, through the grafts system, its possible to have a demonic familiar that lives in your body, like a symbiote or something. Adding onto that, Pathfinder's alchemist class can literally GROW a tumor that acts as a familiar to them. I'm also a fan of your 'familiar-imposed ideals', NizzJipple! The stronger a familiar is, the more powerful the affect it has on your character, that way its somewhat balanced.
    And yeah, I agree that familiars shouldn't be handed out willy-nilly: there should be hoops to jump through in order to get them! While writing this response, I had an idea for how the PC would acquire a demonic familiar;

The PC finds an old book while exploring some abandoned farmhouse, and it turns out the book is on demon summoning, and how to bind a demon to your service. You have the option of attempting the ritual, keeping the book for later, or reading further into the ritual itself. PCs that choose to go straight to summoning will acquire a demon familiar, but have penalties placed on them (and maybe some transformation or bodily corruption). Characters who choose to read further into the ritual will be presented with a skill-check to summon a demon properly, and can pass if they have enough intelligence/wisdom or are magic users who know a bit about this sort of thing. In addition, if the player passes the skill check, they'll have more options on what kind of demon they want to summon: an imp for a basic familiar, an incubus/succubus for sexy times, etc.

RevorDragon and NizzJipple like this.
  6. Sarage

Sarage Member Member

A familiar imp that forces you to get face fucked by him in order to receive his passive buffs, and if you want the special skills that are unique to him to use in battle, you have to let him fuck you too. also he rides my pet dog like a little horse when he's not riding my shoulder slapping me with his un-proportionally large dick because I haven't fulfilled our contract that day yet :3

7. Zanzuki93

Zanzuki93 Member Member

i like the idea of having something following you around and making things a little less lonely whilst adventuring and possibly giving you passive buffs for having them around sounds like a interesting prospect :D <3